Hypothetically speaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the proper thing for the officer to do?

• Release the men

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • Detain the men

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Detain the men and run serial number checks on their weapons

Votes: 11 16.4%

• Total voters

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I re-read the original post and based on that limited information I would have detained and then tried to get to the bottom of what was going on with respect to the house and what you three rambo's were doing. I wouldn't have wasted time running serial numbers on firearms. IF there was something else that happened to cause me to wonder what was going on then I might take it further at that point.

But I'm not LE so my opinion probably doesn't matter.

IF you're only upset about him running the numbers, what do you think caused him to do it? Was there more that he said or did that adds to it?

I'm not upset that he ran the numbers, doesn't matter to me the numbers to my pistol are on countless CLEET quals, there was nothing out of the ordinary about the whole thing we stood around and visited until I got tired of being outside without my shades and went back in the house so I don't know why he ran the numbers. He and the other 4 that showed up were cool guys but it just didn't seem logical to run the numbers.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not upset that he ran the numbers, doesn't matter to me the numbers to my pistol are on countless CLEET quals, there was nothing out of the ordinary about the whole thing we stood around and visited until I got tired of being outside without my shades and went back in the house so I don't know why he ran the numbers. He and the other 4 that showed up were cool guys but it just didn't seem logical to run the numbers.

Ya, I have to say unless he had some compelling reason to do so I would not like that either and I can't imagine that it's normal for LE to do that?

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The answers I'm seeing from the law enforcement guys have made me rethink EVER helping one again!

At this point, if I ever see an officer in trouble, I think I'll wait for the "professionals" to arrive on scene. Sucks for the officer in trouble, but, I don't think I'll take the chance of looking down the barrel of some nervous cop's AR while he sorts things out.:rolleyes2

Republicanhack

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The answers I'm seeing from the law enforcement guys have made me rethink EVER helping one again!

At this point, if I ever see an officer in trouble, I think I'll wait for the "professionals" to arrive on scene. Sucks for the officer in trouble, but, I don't think I'll take the chance of looking down the barrel of some nervous cop's AR while he sorts things out.:rolleyes2

I would have to agree, the older Troopers and such that I know have a very different outlook on civilians helping them, it seems that alot of them have the whole "I am cop therefore I'm godlike" attitude. I would venture a guess that I have more training than alot of them do.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You expect an officer to post something other than a pat politically vetted departmentally acceptable answer publicly?

I have been on a few ride alongs with troppers in the past.

Civillians are not allowed to carry firearms.
In the event of an officer down situation you are to slide into the drivers seat and leave and call for help on the radio.

I won't name trooper names but evrytime I got in the car I was given that speach.

The first ride along he asked if I had my pistol with me. I said no the tropper rolled his eyes opened his glove box and placed his backup piece in the door pocket next to me.

We also had a discussion about the official driveaway policy after I was briefed on it.

ExSniper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, I'd prefer you read the article carefully. To wit:

That "overly cautious" attitude is what led to using a SWAT team and a flash-bang--a military device--for a simple arrest warrant, without even verifying that the suspect was even present. The "officer safety uber alles" attitude gets innocent, uninvolved people killed in the name of protecting the people who volunteered/I] for the dangerous duty.

This thread seems to be about the same topic: we've identified that the three people in question were in a place that they had a right to be, and that they were carrying arms within the bounds of the law. Nonetheless, we have multiple people advocating that they be treated as felons: "proned out," held at the point of a "long gun," "cuff[ed]...," and this is after they've been cleared.

And as long as we're on the subject, police officers shoot innocent people 11% of the time; private citizens shoot innocent people 2% of the time*. Statistically, it seems like the three innocent private citizens ought to be disarming the officer, not vice-versa, if safety is our goal.

* Source: November 15, 1993, issue of Newsweek, as reported at http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...slation-discussion/957-guns-untold-story.html (and pretty much everywhere else on the internet)

My original comment was:
The SWAT Team may or may not have had cause to serve this warrant the way they did, but it seems to me that at a minimum the officer involved was negligent.
The officer in the original post was probably a little over cautious, but certainly not negligent, nor did he violate anyone's rights.
Your statistics on shooting innocents are ludicrous and have nothing to do with either of these cases. What is the source of these numbers?
As to the officer safety over all, that is absolutely against the policy of every department I am aware of. The safety of innocent civilians is paramount in all police activities, even above the safety of the individual officer (remember all those cops who were running upstairs in the WTC???). The use of Deutsch seems to infer that cops are Nazis and that is uncalled for.

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say the cop should have asked questions, interrupted everyone mid-sentence, written down half their responses, taken issue with all responses to his questions, handcuffed them all to each other in a circle around a tree, ran all guns they had, all the guns in the house as well as the VIN's on any visible car, shot all their dogs, then went on his favorite website to ask how he could have violated their rights even more!!! :saywhat:

Latest posts

Top Bottom