I don't think this is right...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found a little surprise when I started disassembly my next restoration project earlier this evening. I took the dial off and found a broken setting lever spring. On the other side, it was pretty dirty, with little bits of rust on most of the wheel train pinions. The mainspring is broken. Here is the 'piece-de-resistance' though. It's clear that I've got some parts hunting to do.

2023_1208_083300_001.JPG

2023_1208_083333_004.JPG

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I know nothing about watches but I would have probably thought something was wrong there. Instead of "I don't think this is right..." my title would have been "Is this right??" :pms2:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do not think rustaway will save that one... Good luck on your search.
I've used Evaporust in the past. With Evaporust, it has a tendency to leave stainless parts black due to it dissolving part of the iron in the alloy when it removes rust. I can try to polish the pivots and pinion leaves to remove the exposed layer of carbon, but I'm not yet sure how that's going to work out. I like using Evaporust on the keyless works, motion works, etc. I've avoided doing it on the wheel train in the past for this reason though. There's no harm in trying it I suppose, as I've already got a replacement on the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom