This Is Fascinating and Infuriating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some folks are confused about the facts surrounding this event. It may be that this is the one time Mac was actually the good guy.

The powder issue was 180 degrees from what some have stated- the ultimate bad guy here is greed, sloth, bureaucracy.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But, but, the M-16 is the wonder rifle! Just ask all the armchair experts here who never had to deal with the problems. Seriously I know a few other vets that would not own one if it was gold plated. The new ones maybe be great, but it is hard to get past the experience. I am lucky I never carried one in Vietnam.

Yep, that makes total sense. Given we are talking about 50 years ago and I'm sure the rifles and ammo are the exact same. Nevermind they have been widely used in wars since then.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But, but, the M-16 is the wonder rifle! Just ask all the armchair experts here who never had to deal with the problems. Seriously I know a few other vets that would not own one if it was gold plated. The new ones maybe be great, but it is hard to get past the experience. I am lucky I never carried one in Vietnam.
You would have to be in Vietnam to carry one in Vietnam, so I guess you lucked out

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some Marine buddies in college who were Nam vets. They all told me they "lost" their issued M-16s as far as they could throw them into the rice paddies and got their M-14s back.

Did those guys' gloss over the fact that they are accountable for that equipment?

Love hearing the fantastical stories from dudes claiming they pulled stunts like that and just picked up an AK - because AK's were evidently lying on the ground on vietnam so thick you couldnt even go to the latrine without tripping over 2 or 3 of them

sigh -- the last fish i caught was thiiiiiiiiiiiiis big too

Latest posts

Top Bottom