Are you a Home Depot or Lowe’s kind of guy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to support locally owned & operated businesses. Whatever the business.
While Ace Hardware doesn’t compare to Lowe’s & HD, for small things Ace has my support as most are locally owned and operated franchises. Not all.

Tall

Marksman
Reaction score
I go to Home Depot most of the time. We have a Lowes and Home Depot pretty much right next door to each other. I used to check and compare prices. Home Depot won every time for about a year so I quit comparing.

Every now and then I will be shopping for a major appliance and Lowes will win so I end up buying from them. It doesn't happen often.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ace is 10 times higher on there prices here. I'd have to be desperate to go in one. I don't know how they stay in business price gouging.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During the winter storm of 2007 someone had checks made on our business bank account and bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of chainsaws and generators at Home Depot and Lowes. When dealing with the bogus checks Lowes was great. We called them one time and got set up with a contact to whom we sent our police report and each check that came through. With Home Depot the process was much more difficult. They wanted us to file a police report on every check (until eventually there were so many that they told us to stop) and every time we called in they were accusatory acting like we were the criminal.

Because of that situation in the 17 years since (it's hard to believe it's been that long) we have probably spent $30K+ at stores like this and Home Depot probably hasn't gotten $500 of it. We have only gone there when Lowes didn't have it, we couldn't find it anywhere else locally and we couldn't wait two days for it to come from online. Somehow Home Depot has survived without us though. :)

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always get both the vet discount and tax exempt on eligible items, online and in the store.

I can't see how a tax exemption is double-dipping with a vet discount. The tax isn't income to the store so it doesn't affect their bottom line at all.
I agree with you about it not being double dipping. But that is the crap the checkout people give me.

Waynehead05

Marksman
Reaction score
My opinion.

We're stuck with them for the time being.

But they used the WallyWorld business plan.

Come in and offer everything under one roof with decent customer service.

Squeeze out all the local mom & pop businesses.

Denigrate into sloppily ran junk stores. You can still find what you’re looking for. But you’ll get close to zero help.

Next iteration will be similar to Dollar General store plans. Everything crammed into undersized pole barns with self-checkout and an armed security guard overseeing them.
You’re probably spot on.

With that said I’m 99% a Home Depot guy.

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amazon delivers, not in city sales tax saves 5%. Sure I have to check myself out, but Amazon trained me.
I bit the bullet and signed up for the prime thing. Ordering something online and getting it delivered the next day kind of spoils you.

Granted they don’t have everything you might want or need. But for the things I’ve bought they have been competitive and sometimes cheaper.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Stillwater only has a Lowe's,,,
So it's a no-brainer for me.

Does Home Depot give a 10% Veterans discount?

I've been very loyal to Lowe's for that one reason,,,
10% just covers the 9.313% sales tax here in Stillwater.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom