Official Random Photo Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lake Superior lighthouses part II.
Continuing even further up the North shore, you come to Little Marais. Cute little town that is heavy into the tourist trade, but they do have a lighthouse.

IMG_3228.jpeg

Driving through the Canadian border, we discovered our last lighthouse after an overnight stay in Thunder Bay.
The smoke from forest fires was so thick that we left town early the next day.

IMG_3398.jpeg

Back to the USA!

IMG_3399.jpeg

Coming back to Duluth, we traveled to Wisconsin and a short cruise around the Apostle Islands. A national seashore to see another lighthouse.
The lighthouse keepers lived a lonely life as all supplies had to be delivered by ship after the ice on the lake melted which could leave them isolated for up to 6 months at times.
Wave erosion and sandstone made an interesting coast line.

IMG_3354.jpeg
IMG_3349.jpeg
IMG_3350.jpeg

Frank Pope

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lighthouses of Lake Superiors North Shore.

First off the ship canal in Duluth that is the entrance for the ore and other ships. Some 1000’ long or more.

View attachment 506382
View attachment 506383View attachment 506384

Just up the coast to the North is Two Harbors that is also a large facility that ships ore from the iron range of Minnesota.

View attachment 506389View attachment 506388

Further North is Shiprock. It’s been completely restored and operational except for the fog horns that could cause hearing damage.
The light was so powerful that it alerted ships 20 miles into the lake. The beacon rests in a pool of Mercury and is rotated from above.

View attachment 506391View attachment 506392
The Great Lakes are amazing. I flew into Chicago on time and we made our approach over the lakes. When the pilot made his dog leg I looked out all the windows and @ 10'000 feet could not see land in any direction. Can you say huge?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Great Lakes are amazing. I flew into Chicago on time and we made our approach over the lakes. When the pilot made his dog leg I looked out all the windows and @ 10'000 feet could not see land in any direction. Can you say huge?
The lake at its deepest is 1333', home of 80 species of fish, largest freshwater lake in the world in terms of surface area, third by volume.
Waves can reach 30' tall during the big storms and has tides. (less than one inch, but they do exist) It's an amazing place.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful up there, Dennis. Wife and I just finished working the roads in Glacier National Park about a week ago, and yesterday, they reported that snow fell in the high elevations of the park yesterday. Looks like we got out just in time.
We are still in the 60's for highs, but it will be back to the fires of hades in Ok shortly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom