I had some fun at the machine shop today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a retired machinist of 52 years and always enjoyed making custom stuff for my various projects, I've been building my own guns since 1985 and a multitude of car/truck/Jeep/motorcycle/gun parts and even some aircraft goodies for a buddy of mine and I still enjoy making stuff and will continue till they stuff me in the ground, it keeps the body and mind working better than sitting around........Keep making chips!
I like this. I don't have the scratch or the space to do this type stuff. I do watch Abom79, and mrpete and Kieth and the machine shop tours.
My son is a CNC machinist and shop foreman in Pheonix.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a retired machinist of 52 years and always enjoyed making custom stuff for my various projects, I've been building my own guns since 1985 and a multitude of car/truck/Jeep/motorcycle/gun parts and even some aircraft goodies for a buddy of mine and I still enjoy making stuff and will continue till they stuff me in the ground, it keeps the body and mind working better than sitting around........Keep making chips!
I tinker with rebuilding old farm machinery. Not as much now as in the past. They always need custom built parts because parts aren't made for them anymore. My shop has a couple lathes, one set up as a milling machine, welder, plasma machine, band saw, drill presses, and other tools. Really enjoy the time on the engine lathe.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I keep in mind when doing modifications on a vehicle is, If I make this part stronger will I make another part the weak link. Then if the new weak link breaks, will it take longer to repair it, will it cost more money to repair it, and is it harder to get to. Today another question is if the part is even available to buy. I'm not bad mouthing your work, just something I keep in mind.
I always tried to make my weakest link the one that was easiest to get to and the least expensive, like a u-joint in the drive line.

Jack Shootza 50

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tinker with rebuilding old farm machinery. Not as much now as in the past. They always need custom built parts because parts aren't made for them anymore. My shop has a couple lathes, one set up as a milling machine, welder, plasma machine, band saw, drill presses, and other tools. Really enjoy the time on the engine lathe.
I had a shop in Ca. with two lathes a vertical and horizontal mill, a surface grinder, a CNC mill and a couple hydraulic presses at the same time I worked full time as a civilian for the Air Force but thanks to uncle Billy (Clinton) the base got shut down and I got laid off in 92 so I sold everything off and moved to Idaho, went to work there and retired in 2019. The last place I worked at still lets me come in and use the shop for my personal stuff plus I help them out occasionally. Right now I just have a small lathe at home but been hankering for a mill.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what is y'all's explanation for being able to "wring" precision blocks? Suction? Molecular attraction? Magnetism?

This has just amazed me for years.

Edited to correct spelling of wring.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was talked about in metallurgy class I took in 1973 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. in Va. On one of the early space flights this happened with the hatch/ door. The mating surfaces had the best finish they could machine at the time and when the hatch was opened and then shut back, they couldn't get it opened until it was back on earth. The instructor said it was because it was done in a vacuum.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what is y'all's explanation for being able to "wring" precision blocks? Suction? Molecular attraction? Magnetism?

This has just amazed me for years.

Edited to correct spelling of wring.
The surfaces are so flat and smooth that the air gets squeezed out as you slide them together and it is hard for the air to get back in!

Kinda like a suction thing (vacuum) in my opinion!

Latest posts

Top Bottom