I had some fun at the machine shop today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The inner thread is LH.
DSCF5432.JPG

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see what got you to post this. The above machining of the two parts is so precise the surfaces that mate are invisible.

I watched a video from Suburban Tool years ago that showed the machining was so precise on two gauge block cylinders the color of the light he showed in between the cylinders was changed from white to blue because the gap would only allow blue light to shine through. I wish I could find that video.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They make blocks out of ceramic too for the really precise stuff.
Adam Savage has a set of Mitutoyo ceramic gauge blocks that they gave him for something he did for them. He showed them on his YouTube channel recently, and he wrung a few of them together. I saw a science presenter (maybe Steve Mould) talking about wringing gauge blocks a few months ago on his YouTube channel, but I don't recall what the explanation was.

ETA: here's Savage's video.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see what got you to post this. The above machining of the two parts is so precise the surfaces that mate are invisible.

I watched a video from Suburban Tool years ago that showed the machining was so precise on two gauge block cylinders the color of the light he showed in between the cylinders was changed from white to blue because the gap would only allow blue light to shine through. I wish I could find that video.
I would like to see that also. I used to rebuild mechanical seals and we used light waves to gauge the flatness of the seal faces.

Latest posts

Top Bottom