I just read that Senator Inhofe's son, Dr. Inhofe, was killed in a plane crash..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is reported to have been flying a Mitsubishi MU-2B-25, which appears to have been a recent purchase. I don't know what he transitioned from, but this is a pretty advanced aircraft.

Since it was new to him, he may have inherited some unresolved mechanical issue that had not been discovered by the previous owner.

Since this is a high profile accident, a very thorough investigation will be done. I am quite interested in what mechanical problem he reported.

Too soon for much speculation, but two factors--new (to pilot) aircraft, and presumably a step up in aircraft performance capability--are often contributory causes.

Again, I feel for his family and wish them the strength to deal with this tragic loss.

Here's some interesting info from Wiki: (not the whole article, but it looks like this aircraft type can slap you if you aren't fully proficient (current and proficient aren't the same things)

Safety Concerns

Concerns have been raised about safety; there have been 330 fatalities from MU-2 crashes.[10] As of October 2005, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has begun a safety evaluation of the aircraft and decided that the aircraft has met its certification requirements - it is safe when operated by properly trained pilots who operate properly maintained aircraft. The FAA is in the process of mandating training specific to the MU-2 as it has in the past for other aircraft. When such mandated training was required outside of the U.S. the MU-2 accident record was vastly improved.

Because the MU-2 offers very high performance at a relatively low cost, some of its operators lack sufficient training and experience for such an advanced aircraft.

A design feature of the MU-2 is its high cruise speed while having a low landing speed. This is accomplished by using full-span, double-slotted flaps on the trailing edge of the wing. These flaps give the MU-2 a wing area comparable to a Beech King Air in landing configuration while having a wing area comparable to a light jet while in cruise mode. The full-span flaps meant that over-wing spoilers were employed instead of conventional ailerons. These spoilers are highly effective, even when the MU-2 wing is stalled. Some fatal accidents have occurred because normal engine-out procedures for light twin aircraft are not effective when flying the MU-2. The commonly taught procedure of reducing flap following an engine failure on take off leads to a critical reduction in lift in the MU-2 due to the highly effective double-slotted flaps. When pilots were taught to retain take-off flap and to reduce climb rate in the event of an engine failure, MU-2 accident rates reduced to almost nil.

From an FAA press release:

The FAA began an aggressive safety evaluation in July 2005. The evaluation is performing a detailed review of accidents, incidents, airworthiness directives, service difficulty reports, safety recommendations and safety reports. It also is examining pilot training requirements, the history of the aircraft's commercial operators and possible engine problems. The goal is to identify the root causes of MU-2 accidents and incidents and determine what, if any, additional safety actions are needed.
In early 2008, the FAA issued a Special Federal Air Regulation (SFAR) directed at MU-2B operations. Pilots flying this aircraft after that date (current MU-2 pilots would have a year to come into compliance) were required to receive type-specific initial training, as well as recurrent training. It also required that a fully functional autopilot be available for single-pilot operations, and that FAA-approved checklists and operating manuals be on board at all times. Also unusual for this SFAR, pilot experience in other aircraft types cannot be used to comply with MU-2 operational requirements - for instance, the requirement to perform landings within the preceding 90 calendar days before carrying passengers is altered by this SFAR to require those landings be made in the MU-2.[11]

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
He treated me years ago, also, i have had clients treated by him. A fantastic physician. He was a very good doctor and seemed to really care about his patients. This is a damn shame.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I respect Sen Inhofe, I think he has done better than average representing us and I am saddened for his loss. I am always saddened when someone dies who is an achiever, one who returns to society rather than takes from taxpayers. Dr Inhofe was such a man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom