I know now why I don't do concrete work.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a big fan of concrete work either, don't like formin it up, pouring, or the clean up. the only thing I dislike more than concrete is sheetrock, dont even get me started on that...

ouhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You bet! I could't wait for summer to haul hay for spenting money when I was younger but yet I hated it as well. My grandpa always have 5,000 to 5,500 square bales plus my cousin & I would haul hay for other farmers that cut smaller fields with like 500 square bales or less. We had an old chevy pick-up that we idled up so we would just put it in drive follow it trowing hay until the bed was full. I can remember getting 3 cents a bale then when it went up to 5 cents bot we thought we were making some good money back then. But working calves twice a year, dehorning, branding, hauling hay, building fence sure was hard work and I didn't like that I had to do it some of the times but looking back on it now I'm sure glad my dad & grandpa stayed on my when I was young. Now I have my own farm but it's roound bales, still doe the fencing, branding, but don't have to work the calves like we did back in the day. I've also done my share of cement work and I'll agree it's some tough work for sure!

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
spent some semi-pro hours on the knee-boards in younger days. I never minded finishing concrete... till my knees and hips started going bad. My Dad was a contractor... and a pretty good flatwork finisher.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Working for a commercial hay hauler in the days when it was pick up each bale, carry it to a moving truck, and toss it aboard is the toughest thing I ever did. The barns were typically 130 degrees inside, so putting it into storage was the tougher end of the job. My employer got so many highschoolers hurt he was eventually sued out of business. For this we got a cent and a half a bale, and two cents if it was a long haul to the barn. Good money at the time if you could take it.

But I do agree that cement work is tough. CB

I remember hay hauling around morrison, oklahoma. It was good money at the time. Made you strong, arms tough, and lean, as it was Hot work!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my son's Eagle project was to build a concrete and rock sidewalk ...
5ft x 35ft long didn't seem like much on paper, until you got out to build it.

we mixed up all our concrete and dug out rocks from the hillside.
all 20 scouts were worn out by the time we finished...

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our model airplane club framed up and poured a slab for a canopy, we thought how hard could it be.. Next time we decided we needed concrete we hired it done, once was enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom