I looked at a classic today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So school me. I always thought the 1962 XKE E Type was a V12.
That’s what I remember from the late 60’s-early 70’s, looking at them at Fretwell’s(I THINK..) on N May around NW Classen High. Guess just XKE’s were V12’s, and this baby has a lighter body and “nicely tuned” engine.. Love the looks of this Jag - A true beauty IMHO. But all I ever remember is the XKE (pulled up on my right 🎵🎶🎵😉)

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful!!!!!!!

Make sure you keep an extra bottle of Lucas smoke on hand for when the Lucas system loses some smoke.

Most of the Lucas System is rebuildable unless it burns through. They have a worse than deserved reputation. Most issues are because people do not pull maintenance or they do not run the vehicles for years at a time.

I do not remember, does this model still have the Solex setup or had they moved to the newer systems after ‘62? When correctly tuned the Solex are awesome, when out they are very upsetting.

Check with Rennsport Werkstatt Ltd 918-663-2906 to see if he works on these. Another possible resource is Lofton Motorsprts (I hear John cursing me now). They do some older cars, mostly American but they occasionally do take on other marques.

Your friend has some interesting vehicles.
Thanks for the phone numbers. I may need to ask them some questions someday. I usually do all my own car work. I've owned six British cars since 1970. This model has the Solex carbs. Maybe you remember the tee shirts "Lucas Lord of Darkness".

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s what I remember from the late 60’s-early 70’s, looking at them at Fretwell’s(I THINK..) on N May around NW Classen High. Guess just XKE’s were V12’s, and this baby has a lighter body and “nicely tuned” engine.. Love the looks of this Jag - A true beauty IMHO. But all I ever remember is the XKE (pulled up on my right 🎵🎶🎵😉)
The XKEs didn't get the V-12 motor until 1971. Some of the early ones had the same motor as this car 3.8L. The XKE had 3 Solex carbs with 20 more horsepower than the MK II. This car weighs 3250 lbs.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the phone numbers. I may need to ask them some questions someday. I usually do all my own car work. I've owned six British cars since 1970. This model has the Solex carbs. Maybe you remember the tee shirts "Lucas Lord of Darkness".
One of my favorite t-shirts! I really love the darkness of their humour!

My knowledge of these is limited. I am guessing the 6 volt was updated and the ground changed. Rust is an Achilles on these lovely works of art!

Hopefully the Solex cams are still in the motor with the carb setup. I do not have any Jaguar specific tools or experience. I have always loved them.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was statoned at McGragor Missie Range, New Mexico. This was part of Ft Bliss TX. WE had MP's as guards because of the nature of what they did there. I was the OD driver one night, and they had some Mexicans come on the range to steal Gasoline, they shot at the MP's and then got off the range property. They then called the New Mexican HP, to make a report on this. This was in 1964, and the Highway Patrol Office was driving a new dodge patrol car. Of course I was looking at it, and ask him what engine it had. He said it has a 426 HEMI with two fours, he opened the hood, and sure enough it did! He said on these long straight roads he had to have something that would run to catch some of the cars he chased He gave me a little deminstration as he left. I was impressed! I bought a used Plymoth equiped like that a few years later.

Dad said much the same. It wasn’t the top speed that was the issue so much as being able to catch up. He also lucked into a car that had been set up like the HP cars. It had belonged to a Sheriff that was able to get his car tuned up like the HPs, but then the county decided to buy him a new car and his old one ended up on a lot. Dad said he lost any chance on negotiating on the price during the test drive.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went back to Wichita today to check out under the old Jaguar. It was in pretty good shape for a 60-year-old car. I'm going to buy it. All the original paperwork that came with the car I got today. The owner's manual goes into details on things like bleeding the brakes and clutch. There was a large chart on lubrication also.
Jaguar books (3).JPG
Jaguar books (1).JPG

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rode in my uncle's XKE in Hutchinson, KS. I know it was a V12. That thing scared me. Not with the speed or acceleration, it was the fact I was inside a British manufacturing product and it had a lousy braking system. It was a go fast machine but more of a riveted together carnival ride instead of a quality motorcar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom