I need a back surgeon. (And maybe lasik / firearm familiar optomitrist)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stewart Smith in OKC is the neurosurgeon who did my neck surgery in 2015, I think it was. The man gave me my life back.

One of the things that stood out the most to me, well 2 things actually:

1. When he was going over my MRIs with me he said "I don't usually say things like this to patients but if you will let me do this I think I can change your life for the better." He was not wrong.

2. When I was waking up in recovery the nurse kept asking me if I needed anything for pain. I did not. But I did "feel weird" and could not put my finger on exactly what was wrong. They ran me through all the little testing things they do for stroke, etc., ect., ect. And kept wanting to know if I needed anything for pain.

After a half hour or so, I FINALLY figured out what was wrong. It was, quite literally, the first time in my entire life that I did not have a headache of some degree or another. My vision was clear. No auras. No cloudiness. Not blurry. It was amazing!!

I told you all that to tell you I grew up watching men and women doing surgeries up close and personal -- like being responsible for running the anesthesia machine, as well as assist in a much closer capacity if needed. For ANYONE to have THAT delicate a hand when fusing 3 vertebrae in 2 places is AMAZING. I don't say this about many doctors -- only a couple of them actually -- but I would trust Dr. Smith to do any kind of surgery on me or any of my loved ones. He is a phenomenal surgeon.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fitz,
Is your blood pressure under control?
Got mine and eye doctor has reduced my perscription 3 times.
Screw that lisinipril. Went back to valsarten once they got rid of the cancer causing ingredients.
I use dr Craig midtown eye care 17th and peoria

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fitz,
Is your blood pressure under control?
Got mine and eye doctor has reduced my perscription 3 times.
Screw that lisinipril. Went back to valsarten once they got rid of the cancer causing ingredients.
I use dr Craig midtown eye care 17th and peoria
37, at one point even had low. So nope a little high LDL cholesterol is it aside from my back for issues

Masnor

Marksman
Reaction score
2017 I had a microdiscectomy down S5 L1 or whatever it is low. Mostly good some aches and pains and extra if I stress it. But I finally did something a month or so ago and it's gotten more serious again with sciatic pain and sometimes getting shocks up my whole spine.

Looking for neurologists. I have an ortho surgeon a coworker recommended, but I'm leaning towards wanting an actual neuro. Ortho can probably look at some hand and other issues I've had going from soft suburban life to having a mini farm I labor daily at.

I'm also due for glasses and havn't been happy with pairs in a long while, hoping to find a real Dr that is better than the right a quick prescription dudes attached to eyeglass places. I have a mild condition that causes one eye to basically focus harder/slower to the main eye, not sure if that's the cause but I've had issues being able to readily quickly focus correctly on various optics and just day to day sometimes struggling with transitioning focus to different distances.

Whether your neuro is under my health insurance might be another thing, but for something so critical, be nice to find someone truly solid.

Tulsa region a big big plus.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I second Dr Barry in Edmond. Aslo, Dr Michael Hahn did lower back surgery on me several years ago, I was pain free for about 3 years after.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife has had several back surgeries, some more involved than others, I see a couple names here that were in the mix.

Stewart Smith did her fusion and neither of us were impressed although he was highly recommended by a co-worker when I was asking around. She gave him the same kind of kudos he's getting from THAT Gurl previously. My opinion is only based on the results, which weren't good. I'm not bad mouthing, just wouldn't go back to him.

I would suggest Christopher Barry as a couple other folks have mentioned. His bedside manner was a bit better than Smith (for us) and he was very easy to talk with. He removed the screws from my wife's back that held the fusion in place. Once all the bone gets fused, the screws aren't needed but aren't typically removed. He showed me the x-ray of her fusion, the screws were not quite centered in her vertebrae so they were through the bone a little on the inside which was causing her nerve pain as well as scar tissue to form. He also replaced her SPS battery in her lower back with no issues.

I told my wife he reminds me of Cullen Bohannon from the show 'Hell on Wheels'. I kept forgetting his name so just referred to him as Bohannon.

From info you're getting, it can all be a crap shoot, good luck with everything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom