I need a decent knife sharpener... suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched some videos... the Spyderco Sharpmaker looks ok, my only concern is my ability to keep a consistent angle (i.e., true vertical) when using it, and afraid it'll take me forever, lol. The Chef's Choice 130 is about $150 on Amazon, which is more than I'd like to spend, but if it's really great, then I might be willing. I guess for me, it's a combination of wanting it to be very quick and "idiot-proof" and get a really smokin' sharp edge... hair-splitting, for instance, instead of just shaving sharp.

I've gotten some ideas on what to look at and will keep researching.

Thanks, guys!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you lived in OKC, I'd let you try out my Chefs Choice 130 before you buy one but Bartlesville is a bit far to travel. I do like mine. I sharpened a couple of really terrible old kitchen knives first just to get the hang of it. I was so impressed with how they came out I went head first and did my good knives, they turned out great. You really can't mess it up unless you try to. I've now got knives that were so bad they were going to the trash but after going through the sharpener, they are like new and are my backup's.

I will say you aren't going to get hair splitting sharp from any sharpener but you can always go to a steel afterwards and finish the edge up to perfect. There's one setting on the 130 that allows you to very quickly fix even the worst edge or to put the edge angle back to a damaged blade. The next setting is what you use for second stage, I use it occasionally when an edge gets to the point my steel won't work, a few strokes through it and back to new. The third setting doesn't spin at all, it's a fine sharpener for finishing the edge, basically like using a steel. Once your knives are through the second stage you can just occasionally use the third stage non-spinning stage for touching up the edge.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, Alton Brown's advice is to a) buy a quality knife; b) buy a quality steel; c) hone the quality knife on the quality steel regularly; and d) send the quality knife out to be sharpened by a professional once a year (or thereabouts).

Of course, he tells it better. I'm sure the video is out there on YouTube or the Food Channel's Web site.

He says to send it out to a professional because he doesn't know how to do it himself.

I sharpen all of my knives by hand. Free hand, and you can get a close shave when I'm done.

Its all about keeping the same angle on the blade, and having a "feel" when that angle has been reached. I'll admit it takes years to develop the "feel".

When a kid, I sharpened knives for the neighbors to get a little money. My wife thinks nothing of using a razor sharp blade to cut a steak on a ceramic plate. Just ruined that edge, but I know to not say a word.
Self preservation. :D

The ceramic sharpener that was shown by the OP works really great in the beginning, but it loads up the pores in the ceramic rods, and there is no way to clean them.

There are ceramic sharpening tools out there that one can take the rods out of and use a combo of hot water and Babo, comet, or some cleaner like that to remove the embedded steel particles and freshen up the surface.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are ceramic sharpening tools out there that one can take the rods out of and use a combo of hot water and Babo, comet, or some cleaner like that to remove the embedded steel particles and freshen up the surface.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I thought I was the only one that used the old term "Babo" that is what our family always called it. And yes the Spyderco Rods can be cleaned with Babo and cleaned well. The Spyderco is a no brainer, even comes with a video and book to teach you how to use it. I also free hand some knives, my grandpa taught us how to, meat man he was. Even a leather strap!

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you've got the cash you could go with a Tormek T7... I've never used one, but have heard good things. I do it by hand on a belt sander, but you can mess up a knife really quick if you aren't paying really close attention and keeping the blade cool. I dip in water every pass and even that isn't enough sometimes. 240 -> 400 -> 600 -> 1200 -> leather loaded with pink compound results in a hair-popping mirror finish every time. If it's not sharp, it's not worth using.
I've never felt the need to go through so many grits. i set the bevel with a 220 grit belt the touch it with a 2000 grit , buff and it is done.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Watched some videos... the Spyderco Sharpmaker looks ok, my only concern is my ability to keep a consistent angle (i.e., true vertical) when using it, and afraid it'll take me forever, lol. The Chef's Choice 130 is about $150 on Amazon, which is more than I'd like to spend, but if it's really great, then I might be willing. I guess for me, it's a combination of wanting it to be very quick and "idiot-proof" and get a really smokin' sharp edge... hair-splitting, for instance, instead of just shaving sharp.

I've gotten some ideas on what to look at and will keep researching.

Thanks, guys!

this just popped up, didn't look at it, but this was the only way to 'tag' you without a PM.

https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?199665-EZE-Lap-Sharpener-39-99-at-Woot!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wanted to update this for anyone who may be looking later or wondering.

I ended up with one of these.

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_41vA8spD5zL.jpg

It can be found here, on Amazon.

It does a great job, overall. I took some of my kitchen knives and resurfaced them and built a new edge on them. It's set at 30 degrees, I think. The first stage will absolutely eat up some metal... but a couple of my cheaper kitchen knives I really had to run through here several times. Well, maybe more than several. But once I got the new edge angle set, stages 2 and 3 do a great job putting a good edge on it. I could slice paper into vermicelli with ease, but shaving hair was spotty.

It's a good solution for quick, easy and consistent re-edging and touching up. But if you want one of those edges not just shaving-sharp, but hair-splitting sharp (boy, I'd love to be able to do this), it's not going to do that.

<edit> And just to add, I didn't buy this. I happened to mention my knife-sharpening quest when my neighbor lady was here and she said she had this, then dropped it off for me to use. She said she'll just bring her knives over if they need sharpening. lol

Score!

This is the same neighbor-lady who essentially donate-loaned me her Traeger pellet smoker which has become a source of much joy for all of us! :D

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently tried a Gatco sharpening system and my knife is SHARP! its very easy to use and the guide helps keep the appropriate angle to get the blade sharp.

Dale Atkerson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wicked Edge is easiest and most precise. It has multiple angle options and diamond stones available from 50 -1200 grit and then some polishing stones. Work up to 1000 grit diamond will give a very fine toothy edge. A toothy edge cuts better than a polished edge. Like a micro saw blade. A polished edge is a hair popper for sure, but for cutting meat and most other media, the toothy edge will cutt better and longer. Only drawback to the Wicked Edge is price. The complete set up like mine will set you back about $600. But it will be the last one you ever need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom