I Was Reminded Today Of Why I Like Self-Checkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I go to Homeland today with a bunch of veggi's and one tiny little 1/2 pint bottle of white wine to make some sauce for the tortellini that was on the menu tonight.
I knew what was coming so scanned it first and then went on with half the basket of groceries. Getting done, still had the red light on and no assistance. Went to an actual checker that was close as asked if she could send help for the "self checkout". I heard the intercom asking for a manager.
Another 5 minutes goes by, meanwhile people are processing through the human checkout lines left and right.
Went back to the human checker and asked if she could repeat the call for a manager/supervisor to clear my alcohol purchase. Another 5 minutes goes by and some lady with deer in the headlight eyes came up and finally cleared the "self checkout" so I could pay and leave. Was about 30 seconds away from just walking out the door when she showed up.
Ridiculous to say the least.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always need assistance when checking out there.

If their self checkout system has a way to get the Veterans 10% discount,,,
I haven't found out how to do it,,,
Neither have they.

Aarond

If you're talking about Lowes, I happen to manage every time I go there (and thru the self-checkout). Easy peasy.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're talking about Lowes, I happen to manage every time I go there (and thru the self-checkout). Easy peasy.
The last time I did Lowes, it seemed easy to get veteran and farm tax exemption just by putting in phone number. Theoretically one just has to scan the back of the drivers license, and should be good to go. Well, that didn't happen.
Attendant came and tried to scan the license. Didn't work. So she took her fingers and blocked the top bar code of the DL saying this is what one has to do as it's a real ID with Veteran status.
It didn't work either.
So she overrode the machine with her ID, confirmed my info and off I went.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The last time I did Lowes, it seemed easy to get veteran and farm tax exemption just by putting in phone number. Theoretically one just has to scan the back of the drivers license, and should be good to go. Well, that didn't happen.
Attendant came and tried to scan the license. Didn't work. So she took her fingers and blocked the top bar code of the DL saying this is what one has to do as it's a real ID with Veteran status.
It didn't work either.
So she overrode the machine with her ID, confirmed my info and off I went.

Get a Lowes card on your login account. Activate the military discount. Scan the card at the register. Works every time.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But in turn, not only are cashiers laid off but others are as well and that impacts the consumer because it makes it difficult to locate an item..
Are they being laid off, or are they now doing other jobs for the stores? In the current labor market, I'd bet that it's a LOT more of the latter, particularly considering how few cashiers were "only" cashiers.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are they being laid off, or are they now doing other jobs for the stores? In the current labor market, I'd bet that it's a LOT more of the latter, particularly considering how few cashiers were "only" cashiers.
More than a few of them probably converted to personal shoppers for the customers who only pick up.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a Lowes card on your login account. Activate the military discount. Scan the card at the register. Works every time.
I've been doing this for years. Scan the "MyLowes" card, scan purchases, and off we go. No problems, either with old system or now with the new equipment installed last month. Lowe's is one of my favorite stores.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I don’t tip anybody to take my money.
I picked up some Q to go at Daddy B's in Tulsa / Jenks yesterday. In addition to the tip question on the I-Pad check out (which I declined) there was a styrafoam cup on the counter labeled "Tips for Cooks"...grrr. Next thing will be bank tellers asking for tips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom