ID this knife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the title says, I'd like some help in IDing this knife I found a few years ago. If you must know, I didn't steal it, I found it laying in a muddy tank track trench on Ft. Hood during an exercise. Nobody claimed it so it's been mine ever since.

Anyway, this doesn't have any markings other than the "440 Stainless R. O. C." as seen in the pics below. The opening is spring-assisted and pops out quite nicely when you push on the spur. It's about 7" long with a 3" cutting edge and 4" when closed. It's about 3/8 of an inch thick, not counting the clip.

20140628_183125.jpg

20140628_183211.jpg

As to the "fix", the blade gives about 3/8 of an inch when pushed back. This concerns me as I would prefer it to be more solid. I've never had a folder that had this kind of give. It's fully locked, so I don't think it's just the spring being weak. I like this knife a lot and I'd like for it to be fully functional.

20140628_185352.jpg
20140628_185402.jpg

Any ideas?

Red Dirt Rider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a Kershaw Leek, maybe an older one. They don't have a 440 blade on the current ones that I know of. You can email Kershaw from their site for hardware replacement if it is a Leek, and maybe get it working better. I like the battle damage from hard use look yours has!

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a Kershaw Leek, maybe an older one. They don't have a 440 blade on the current ones that I know of. You can email Kershaw from their site for hardware replacement if it is a Leek, and maybe get it working better. I like the battle damage from hard use look yours has!

Wow, doing a google of that convinces me that you've nailed it. I'll drop them a line. Thanks for the info!

Also, I can't claim to be behind all of that wear, since it was a L&F, but I did contribute! I don't baby my stuff, it gets used. The stories my Leatherman could tell...

Red Dirt Rider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stripped a pivot screw on one of my Kershaws and I contacted Kershaw, told them what I did, they sent me a replacement free. I didn't have to show a receipt and no questions.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, bit of an update. Turns out it's not a Kershaw, but some Chinese clone. I asked around on BladeForum and they pretty much set me straight on that.

The good news, one of the forum mods sent me a ZT 0560 and Kershaw Thermite for free. So that's pretty cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom