If a (hypothetical) amendment were passed to ban guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If a Constitutional amendment passed to replace the 2nd amendment and ban guns, would you

• comply

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • ignore

Votes: 58 96.7%
  • leave

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The suggestion that rendering millions of citizens as ‘individuals’ defenseless in an attempt to attenuate the relatively low frequency of incidents in which small clusters of citizens have been killed or injured ‘collectively’ by firearms leaves the overwhelming majority of citizens with a profoundly greater risk of death or injury from a myriad of sources than the actual risk to which a relatively insignificant collective subgroup is exposed. Remember, there are around 350 million citizens, and God only knows how many illegal aliens, now residing in our country. The argument in question intentionally does not take into account of the enormous number of incidents where privately owned firearms are used to prevent citizen deaths or injuries often without ever being fired. The rationale behind this dangerous suggestion is based a on a fallacy appealing to the emotions of the audience (argumentum ad passiones) and it smells to me like another Marxist dialectic narrative. I call to mind that Hillary Clinton was a protégée of Saul Alinsky, Marxist author of ‘Rules for Radicals’; so, It’s not much of a reach to imagine from where this idea arises…..
I agree! One of the basic statistics they’re leaving out is how many lives guns save per year. I’ve read articles with estimates from 500,000 to 3 million. All of which are probably prejudice one way or another. The only one that is probably close to accurate is a survey done a couple years ago stating that guns were used to protect life and property approximately 1.67 million times a year. How many lives were saved in these situations is impossible to tell. The .gov isn’t going to even acknowledge that guns actually save lives and ensure liberty. I see a near future where red states will do whatever they want and enact laws based on their morals and blue states will do the same (with little to no regard for federal laws….that’s pretty much the way it is now, but worse). People will move to states where they feel comfortable with the laws and way of life. At least that’s what I did. Maybe that’s the new definition of freedom.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, kind of a loaded question (pun intended). 1994 There was an "assault weapons ban" and what did everyone do? Held on to what they had, let it increase in value, sold in some cases. Because of grandfathering all it changed was what could be sold as new. Before you can really ask the question you need to ask will their be confiscation? Will possession be a crime? Will there be registration. Regardless of the specifics I found out a few years back that a Tracker Pro Team 175 and a firearms safe don't go together so well.
The federal “assault weapon” ban grandfathered currently possessed ones. Only in communist states like Kali did they pass laws requiring you to turn in your weapon or store it out of state. I knew a police chief in northern Kali that had to take his two AR 15s to a relative’s home in Nevada. The manufacturers just eliminated the features used to determine legality, bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, folding stocks, etc. Millions were still sold and the laws sunsetted in five years in 1998.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it would depend on what places like Oklahoma and Texas did in response. If they said we don’t care what anyone says, guns are legal in our states, then I’d side with the state. If they caved to the Feds, I’d take a long vacation out of the country.
And go where? America is the last best choice. Millions of illegal immigrants break the law to come here from every country in the world. Where do you think is better than here? I would not worry about any federal gun control laws passing. If you live in any of the west coast states (no difference in Kali, Oregon or Washington), I suggest you move. Those people deserve the officials they elected. Closely behind are NY, NJ, MA, IL and maybe a couple more. The democratically controlled cities/states are/will become sewers when the decent people have had enough.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re giving me far too much credit on this one, sir.

I've stated many times that i don't think it will happen. I asked a question about what people might do about 'gun control' that would fall within an approach that is Constitutionally sound.

Anything that you infer beyond that is on you.

I also said at one point that the overarching question could easily be applied to many of the different rights that we currently find to be fundamental. It's not a question that is limited to guns, but rather was meant to explore the idea of people using the provided framework to make big changes to our system.

I made no argument in favor of the efforts or against the efforts. I simply asked what people would do. Their own passions could lead them in many directions. Which was kind of the point. I neither suggest nor advocated for anyway with my question, though. I stated a scenario without implication of whether it was good or bad.

If you want to spin the hypothetical out to all possible pitfalls, you certainly can, but it goes beyond the scope of what i asked.
A mute question since the hypothetical constitutional rescinding of the second amendment has a probability of about zero.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A mute question since the hypothetical constitutional rescinding of the second amendment has a probability of about zero.
Agreed, it'd be a moot point if it was a real discussion of the chances of it happening.

Probability of it happening, or not, wasn't a consideration as it's clearly a hypothetical scenario only. As i sad earlier, i wasn't discussing the 'how' with regards to the amendment, but the 'what comes next' in a situation where it already came to be.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And go where? America is the last best choice. Millions of illegal immigrants break the law to come here from every country in the world. Where do you think is better than here? I would not worry about any federal gun control laws passing. If you live in any of the west coast states (no difference in Kali, Oregon or Washington), I suggest you move. Those people deserve the officials they elected. Closely behind are NY, NJ, MA, IL and maybe a couple more. The democratically controlled cities/states are/will become sewers when the decent people have had enough.
I don’t spend time worrying about Oklahoma caving to the Feds, that’s why I live here. If for some reason all the red states were forced to give up their guns because of federal law, then I would take a long vacation overseas. Don’t kid yourself about the US being the only country in the world worth living in. I wouldn’t change my citizenship, but I would take very long vacation.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not so sure. Do the right thing (pay credit bills on time and off) and you are the one punished. Try to complain on social media or disagree with political leaders, you are de-platformed. God forbid their is a virus almost as bad as the flu and can't go to church or travel freely, where your useless obedience mask depending on what city. Send your kid to public schools and the indoctrination and grooming begins. Don't like it and go to a school board meeting and complain to the board you may get a visit by the FBI. Have an R by your name or on the FEC roles? That is scary thought. Have your own business and you may have a visit by an armed IRS agent. WTF has happened to our republic that one feels the need to ask the question we are responding too. That is why I still vote, things need to change and fast.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The federal “assault weapon” ban grandfathered currently possessed ones. Only in communist states like Kali did they pass laws requiring you to turn in your weapon or store it out of state. I knew a police chief in northern Kali that had to take his two AR 15s to a relative’s home in Nevada. The manufacturers just eliminated the features used to determine legality, bayonet lugs, flash suppressors, folding stocks, etc. Millions were still sold and the laws sunsetted in five years in 1998.

The federal assault weapons ban was from 1994-2004. It cost the democrats dearly when they lost the house and senate because of it. For a while they knew to leave firearms issues alone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom