If you couldn't live here where would you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I
East of here can suck it. South of here can really suck it; I'm already too hot. I will not spend the rest of my life in a state that sees 95-100 degree weather frequently. Colorado and New Mexico are a more affordable option with more employment oppurtunities in my field. I'm planning a 4-5 year exit.

Probably Ely Nevada close to sun valley Idaho or around baker city Oregon.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After having lived all over Alaska I wouldn't want to live much further north then Anchorage. The older I get the harder the winters are. Here isn't in Anchorage isn't too bad in the winter but -50 below zero in Fairbanks and points north just sucks. Everything about it sucks. That's why I'd like to move down to Prince of Wales Island. Very moderate maritime climate in a temperate rainforest. Hunt, fish, live off the grid if you wanted too. And people down there don't get all up in each others business. Wanna build a house out of shipping containers? Nobody cares.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find I can handle the heat better than the cold these days. So I'd either have to have some joint replacement surgery or move to a warmer climate that at least attempts to skip the cold winters.

BillMac

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too old for Alaska which would be my 1st choice. Probably Montana, Wyoming or maybe the land of my ancestors the great state of Texas.

Darned if I can think of anyplace else though.

Alaska was always my most wanted assignment when I was in the USAF but the new wife wouldn't hear of the "cold" and snow. Years later after all she heard about the bases and climate in Alaska, she's wishing we would have gone. Having lost my employment in Oklahoma in 2011, I ended up landing a job in my field in Gainesville, Texas. Other than OK or Tennessee, there's no place I'd rather be. Yes the property taxes will kill you if you own your place, but there's no state income taxes, no taxes on food which always irked me about OK, gas is reasonable, tornadoes are somewhat less than in OK depending on where you set up household, just as or moreso gun friendly than OK, economy is booming, gun companies are considering TX to move out of their gun-hating states, the list goes on and on. Keep us in mind if you have to go somewhere! Also, I'm too old to want the cold of the northern tier states. Michigan almost did us in a few years back.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I find I can handle the heat better than the cold these days. So I'd either have to have some joint replacement surgery or move to a warmer climate that at least attempts to skip the cold winters.

Good luck with that one. I'm on a few RV forums where a number of the participants that were in south Texas and Arizona were complaining about how cold it got. A couple of years ago, it dropped to 22 degrees in Arizona and they were howling.

Latest posts

Top Bottom