If you don't reload now, you might want to consider it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's a good kit to start with? I'm looking for a single stage with quick change dies to start or maybe a turret would help speed up things and getting a 550 or 750 for higher volume down the line. This guy recommends RCBS rock chucker but i see they have a rebel model available that is newer.
https://backfire.tv/reloading-kit/

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's a good kit to start with? I'm looking for a single stage with quick change dies to start or maybe a turret would help speed up things and getting a 550 or 750 for higher volume down the line. This guy recommends RCBS rock chucker but i see they have a rebel model available that is newer.
https://backfire.tv/reloading-kit/

I looked up the rebel model and seems it copied LEE press with letting the primer fall through the middle of the ram.

But No way to prime a case with the RCBS Rebel unless you buy a primer seating die.
That's a pain.

My first reloading was done with Lee classic loader Wack-A-Mole loader.
That worked well if I reused ammo shot from my rifles it is a neck sizer deal for rifles.

I later got the Lee Classic Castiron single stage press and it has a primer feature and comes with small and large primer seaters.

I love the way it primes cases and I have bought a few Presses over the years and the one I use most and that is bolted down right now is that Classic cast iron press from LEE.

I have a Rock Chucker and do not really care for it.
I have it on loan to a buddy.
I have a few presses on loan but they are not getting my single stage lee.

I do not like "KITS"
Not much in them that I really use.

I had a trickler RCBS and sold it.
I like my 505 beam scale..A must have for me. I have 3 of them.
No longer made but there are many beam scales that work well.

I have a Lee beam scale ..It is cheap and I had to modify it to get consistent results.
Pass on that scale.

I love my Lee dies.
Pacesetter 3 die set from lee comes with instructions on how to set the dies and powder bullet load chart.
They also have a shell holder and a powder scoop in the die set.

Some die sets you have to buy a different shell holder.
Now know this the Lee shell holders have a small hole in the base where the primer can fall through when you deprime the case and that small hole centers the primer seater that goes with many Lee presses.

Other brand shell holders can have a much larger hole and does not keep the primer seaters centered with the case.

My Lee has loaded many thousands of rounds over the years and No slop in the ram at all.

Read the reviews of the RCBS Rebel. Not my cup of tea.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022388173?pid=273830

The Lee press has the primers fall out of the bottom of the ram also but come with a tube to catch them.

Ye I am pushing the Lee classic Cast.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Lee press has the primers fall out of the bottom of the ram also but come with a tube to catch them.
Unless you have a Challenger press. Then this will work.

Primer catch2.jpg

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might as well start saving those spent primers. I've been collecting info on reloading primers and it's very possible.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Dillon 550c with a single stage conversion kit is as good a setup as you'll ever find IMHO.
Would you explain that to me. In my mind the 550 is single stage, meaning that you have to manually advance the shell holder, the 650 is a true progressive. I looked at the website and there aren't even holes in the toolhead for dies?WTF over?

Latest posts

Top Bottom