If you were in charge of OK deer season...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the guys paying stupid lease prices around my place are rich Okies, but I agree that leases have gotten out of hand. It's the same here in east Texas.

By spending a grand, I actually meant on licenses not leases.

Yep, I figured you for an OK lifetime hunting license guy too :)

i like the idea of a primitive season. i'll make a few guys mad by saying that inlines and smokeless mz's should have their own season or even lumped into rifle season...flame suit donned...

And all this time I thought I liked you......... jk of course lol!

I shoot a smokeless inline, but I'm all for a true primitive season. Gives me an excuse to buy a new toy...:thumb:

Many folks don't like them, but I'm all for antler restrictions. In Texas, it's requires a buck have a 13" inside spread.

Was just reading earlier where parts of MS requires a minimum 10" spread and a 13" long main beam............!!!

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going to respectfully disagree with you both. Rifle season is plenty long enough already (I primarily gun hunt) with the openness of the terrain in a large part of the state if it where longer your harvest numbers would be way higher. And tran Arkansas's season is less than a month long. Used to be 15 days. Their population numbers are way higher than oklahomas and those states with liberal season dates are encouraging large harvests. Oklahoma doesn't have the deer density of those states so we couldn't support the additional length of the season. Furthermore the trophy quality and age structure are better in Oklahoma. And aviator if we want trophy deer consistently our buck to doe ratio needs to be kept in check. The state needs to do something to encourage more doe harvests. Perhaps a doe only rifle season in early to mid October before the rut and when yearling size is easily discern able from the does. Just my observations. Those southeastern states with long gun seasons love out of state hunters and have lots of acres of public land available for our enjoyment (exception Texas ) and there's also western states that have otc /general areas for both whitetail and mulies and agin millions of acres of public land for our enjoyment. If nine days isn't enough time to get out and enjoy our states rifle season.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

It not about length of season. you can set harvest numbers just like the other states but it would allow gun hunters to be more selective in there harvest. Instead of killing what ever walks out.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why so many rules? Holy **** that looks like an oppressive list of **** everyone would forget anyway. I'd do the right thing and tell my fellow citizens to do as they see fit.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The short rifle season is just dumb. There's really no point to it bc the state can determine based on the size of the states deer herd, how many deer a hunter should have the potential of taking, and the method by which he takes those deer shouldn't matter. Ok has a lot of land that's simply not cut out for bow hunting and it sucks that people are forced into such a small window of time in which they can legally take a deer with a rifle. Bad weather, family emergencies, getting the flu, car problems, etc means a rifle hunter could miss the season all together.
Also, make it so that when you buy your license, you get all your tags. For Instance you buy a NC hunting license, you pay 38 bucks and you get 6 see tags plus your turkey tags and bear tags. None of this nickel and diming you for each animal you attempt to harvest. I have to assume that many will kill a buck they might otherwise pass on bc they went out the night before and bought a tag and don't want to go home empty handed.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I hide from lightning in my truck...

1. Crossbows for disabled and 65+ years old only during archery.

2. Leave current muzzleloader season as is.

3. Add flintlock only, either sex season between Christmas and New Years.

4. 1 buck limit.

5. Most important: Rifle season is 9 days starting the first Saturday in December.

Show me a MIDWESTERN (f*wk Texas, the land of bought deer and no public hunting) state known for big bucks with a long centerfire rifle season during the rut. Kansas and Iowa have this right. Keep gunpowder out of the rut.

Latest posts

Top Bottom