If you were in charge of OK deer season...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"Glaringly" is a bit of a stretch, but whatever. 1% of the second largest state is open to public hunting. The rest of the expansive western states have 30-60%.

"no public land" was what they call hyperbole. If John and Joe are grabbing lunch, and John has $1 dollar to Joe's $40, he might say "I'll buy next time - I have no money". You could argue semantics, or accept that hyperbole is commonly used in casual conversation and move on. If a hunter says he found a "ton of deer ****" I don't assume he found 2,000lbs of deer excrement around his stand.

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/public-hunting-land/
i like how you migrated from using mid-western states to now western states to make an attempt to some sort of point. Looking at your ideal picks I see Kansas is less than texas percentage wise using the data you provided.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i like how you migrated from using mid-western states to now western states to make an attempt to some sort of point. Looking at your ideal picks I see Kansas is less than texas percentage wise using the data you provided.

I like the length and timing of the Kansas gun season. The two are separate issues. I like Midwestern states gun season regulations. Seems simple to me. Sorry talking about multiple issues at once confused you.

They are not my "ideal picks" by any means.

They length of Texas' gun season, coupled with antler restrictions in certain zones, COUPLED WITH largely privately held hunting land all add up to an environment favoring lease managers and outfitters over anyone else.

My point is, if you want higher numbers of mature bucks, you institute antler restrictions or you shorten gun season and move it out of the rut. I prefer the latter.

I'd also ban you from hunting for being a smartass if I was in charge.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I like the length and timing of the Kansas gun season. The two are separate issues. I like Midwestern states gun season regulations. Seems simple to me. Sorry talking about multiple issues at once confused you.

They are not my "ideal picks" by any means.

They length of Texas' gun season, coupled with antler restrictions in certain zones, COUPLED WITH largely privately held hunting land all add up to an environment favoring lease managers and outfitters over anyone else.

My point is, if you want higher numbers of mature bucks, you institute antler restrictions or you shorten gun season and move it out of the rut. I prefer the latter.

I'd also ban you from hunting for being a smartass if I was in charge.
I see your thought. And Yah I'd pee on your leg if I was a dog.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Deer tags. 4 doe and 1 buck. Buck may be taken during any season. Doe 2 during rifle, 3 during mz, 4 during bow and buck tag may be used for doe after 4 doe tags are filled.

2. Bow season Oct 1 through Jan 15.
3. Crossbow Oct 15 through Jan 15.
4. Primitive muzzleloader Nov 1 through Jan 15.
5. Inline mz Nov 15 through Jan 15.
6. Rifle Dec 1 through Jan 15.

Hogs no restrictions.

Keep special youth hunts as they are.

Poaching loss of license for life. Plus monetary fine equal to gross income of last tax return times 2.
2nd offense loss of all property and life in prison.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MZ season - no optics allowed, sidelocks only.

Bow season Oct 1- Jan 15.

MZ season Oct 15- Nov 30

Gun Season Nov 15- Dec 31

Limit 6 deer, 2 must be antlered.

No safety orange required (recommended, yes)

Youth Hunts Third weekend of Oct, Nov, Dec - youth limit total 2 deer, one must be antlerless.

Poachers convicted of wanton waste to be tied to tree in woods and left to die of exposure.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely still require orange, that's not a smart change IMO. Deer limits each year would change based on wildlife management needs but for now I would say 1 buck and 4 doe limit, 3 points per side on the buck required except for hunters under 15. Season in which you take them would become a non-issue. None of this "muzzle loader season" "rifle season", etc. Run what ya brung. There'd be "hunting season" and it would be from Jan 1 to Jan 31. If you want to take different guns out to try and challenge yourself then cool. If not, that's cool too. You would not be allowed to possess more than one means of taking game at a time. Meaning you couldn't have your ML and rifle in your stand at the same time.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have tag limits, what's the point in restricting the length of the season or the means of taking them? If you can, say, shoot one antlered and two unantlered deer, does it really matter when in the year you bust a cap on 'em and what you use to do the deed?

(Not being a deer hunter, I really have no idea; that's why I'm asking.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom