If you were in charge of OK deer season...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd leave it just the way it is.

We have the biggest bucks we have ever seen in the history of hunting deer in Oklahoma.

We are constantly quoted in the national rags for having potential to grow the new world record buck. Yes, we are behind a couple, but doesn't recognition of our record prove something?

The ODW had done a great job managing our herd IMHO.

I don't agree with all of their decisions, but overall, I'm happy.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like these recommendations a lot - gun season needs to me MUCH longer. I do not, however agree with 7stw's idea of requiring two does taken before an antlered tag is issued. It would only breed waste. Kill two tiny does in order to get your buck tag because that's what's required. No reason to make trophy hunters jump through hoops like that. (and I'm not a trophy hunter)

I only shoot 2 deer per year. How about one doe? For those who would shoot a doe just to get a buck tag, encourage them to donate the doe to Hunters Against Hunger.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely still require orange, that's not a smart change IMO. Deer limits each year would change based on wildlife management needs but for now I would say 1 buck and 4 doe limit, 3 points per side on the buck required except for hunters under 15. Season in which you take them would become a non-issue. None of this "muzzle loader season" "rifle season", etc. Run what ya brung. There'd be "hunting season" and it would be from Jan 1 to Jan 31. If you want to take different guns out to try and challenge yourself then cool. If not, that's cool too. You would not be allowed to possess more than one means of taking game at a time. Meaning you couldn't have your ML and rifle in your stand at the same time.

I didn't say it was smart not to wear it, I just wouldn't require it. I dislike the State dicktating for my safety - seatbelt laws, etc...

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have tag limits, what's the point in restricting the length of the season or the means of taking them? If you can, say, shoot one antlered and two unantlered deer, does it really matter when in the year you bust a cap on 'em and what you use to do the deed?

(Not being a deer hunter, I really have no idea; that's why I'm asking.)

Because that require limiting the number of tags sold. As it stands now sales are unlimited.

Years back, the county we hunted in had 2 doe and 1 buck limit. BUT does could only be taken the first 9 days and buck after. Many doe were taken and very few bucks, though we seen lots of bucks through the summer.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 buck limit and with current herd trends (esp in western and nortwestern OK) maybe throttle back on the doe limit for a couple of years.

Crossbows becomes disabled and 65+ only.

Archery season starts Sept. 15

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archery starts October 15th and runs until January 15th.
Muzzleloader is last Saturday of October and runs for 9 days.
Youth Gun starts Thanksgiving Day and is open 11 days. (Includes 2 weekends)
Rifle Season starts 3rd Saturday of December and runs 16 days. (1st 9 days for non residents)

Combined season limits for any method hunted. 1 Antlered deer (Any antler 3" above hair line) Antlerless will vary depending on region.

1 Bonus buck tag would be available upon certification of completion of 2 ODWC sponsored QDMA seminars. (This would be good for 5 years.

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archery starts October 15th and runs until January 15th.
Muzzleloader is last Saturday of October and runs for 9 days.
Youth Gun starts Thanksgiving Day and is open 11 days. (Includes 2 weekends)
Rifle Season starts 3rd Saturday of December and runs 16 days. (1st 9 days for non residents)

Combined season limits for any method hunted. 1 Antlered deer (Any antler 3" above hair line) Antlerless will vary depending on region.

1 Bonus buck tag would be available upon certification of completion of 2 ODWC sponsored QDMA seminars. (This would be good for 5 years.

Those don't sound too bad OKbassin.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Let's go for something novel.......let's have a doe and buck designation.......if it has balls, it's a buck. It's not like we're trying to determine between a mallard hen and a gadwal drake at 30y flying.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like how so many have a hard-on against the non-resident hunters. You all act like the non residents are causing much of the ills of the OK deer population. If you are but hurt about the high costs of leased land from out of state hunters, that's fine, but high lease rates don't affect the quality of deer in OK. You want to change the regs because you can't or don't want to afford the cost to hunt.

I only deer hunt in OK as a non resident. All my consumables for hunting are nought in OK. Money is what allows Oklahoma to manage the states deer herd to the best of its abilities. For the past 15 years I have spend $250-$300 per year on non resident tags. I have pulled the trigger fewer times than not including not harvesting a deer the last three seasons. What does a resident hunter pay for Lic and tag? $30?

Non resident fees, hunting consumables, food and other gear for camp and hunting, etc, easily run $700. This doesn't include travel expenses and all the other non hunting related monies spend while in OK. Allowing non resident hunters to participate every three years will only hurt the ODW and other related agencies with much less money and not help the local deer populations.

But I will play. Here are some of my points.

-1 Buck and 2 does per year/season for ALL hunters no matter of method taken
-5 point minimum Buck for youth/apprentice hunters.
-7 point minimum Buck for Adult hunters
-Separate and undetermined regs for deformed antlered (cull bucks)
-Non resident fees remain same
-Resident fees $100/license and $25/tag.
-No more lifetime Licenses

Most of you will not like these ideas and I get that. Raising the cost to hunt can only help the OK deer herd with the ODW having more money to better manage the deer populations.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't pay anything for a license and tag.......and I didn't associate deer population or quality with out of state hunters, just the price of land. By what means will the ODWC better manage the deer populations with more money? Studies, surveys, etc?

Latest posts

Top Bottom