If you were in charge of OK deer season...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know a guy that twice sent pictures of a mature buck swimming across Lake Texoma within the previous 3 weeks. One time he plotted the bucks path and said he was over a mile from the closest land. That buck was likely swimming 2 miles to get some strange. What if these bucks had bad genetics? Keeping bucks with bad genetics from your doe herd isn't as easy as choosing who your teenage daughter dates.

Buck on Kaw lake. He has already swam a mile, and has 3/4 miles to go.

tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_14_12_01_a45576ffddb62a409e28d6836b005edc.jpg

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't pay anything for a license and tag.......and I didn't associate deer population or quality with out of state hunters, just the price of land. By what means will the ODWC better manage the deer populations with more money? Studies, surveys, etc?

I assumed you associated it with the declining condition of the OK deer population. Just couldn't comprehend such a ludicrous regulation due to lease rates. So, your asking the ODW to interfere where they don't belong? What side of the coin were you on the last couple years with regards to cost of ammo? Free market or gouging?

If the dept is managed correctly more money is always helpful. How about more money helping fund more salaries of game wardens to help reduce poaching, more education to all hunters, better habitat establishment. Lots of things can be done with more money.

Raising the cost to hunt only hurts the folks that hunt for meat to keep them in protein for the year.

High cost hunting relates to Texas and Europe.

An acquaintance had a check station on Kaw lake before the electronic deal. He noticed that the out of state hunters shot anything with antlers so they didn't go home empty handed.
Ok used to be a cheap place to deer hunt for non-residents. Not so much anymore. The actions of a few have screwed it for the rest.

How many OK hunters actually hunt deer to maintain protein in their diets? Are they subsistence hunters or they would just prefer to hunt and eat their deer rather than go to the store? If they are truly in situation that they financially need to hunt deer to put meat on the table then exceptions can be given as with many regulations.

C'mon Dennis, couple things here. You think it's only non residents that shoot spikes or anything with antlers? You've been around long enough to know that is not the case. To blame and problems with the declining quality of the deer on non residents is insane. I've hunted OK for 15 seasons and just in the last two years have electronically checked deer our small group killed. Before that, we took them to the check station in Cookson. I saw some nice deer. I also saw plenty of the local hillbillies checking spikes and others I'd never think of shooting. The problems come from within the state.

OUsoonerfan22, what do you mean by harvesting only 1 buck? Over half of hunters in Oklahoma only harvest 1 buck. If the regulations were changed to only allow 1 buck, some might be more selective, but I don't think that will make a huge effect.

Overall, I think the ODWC has been pretty good with the deer regulations. Drought has stricken some areas pretty hard, and I hope to see that they recognize that in next years regulations. As Oklahomans are concerned, I see the loss of hunting property to be more detrimental than any regulation the ODWC does. I mean the loss of hunting property, to commercial development, residential development, urban sprawl, oilfield/industrial stamping out wildlife habitat. Land prices and leases have sky rocketed in the last 10 years and the people with wads of money in hand, keep showing up.

For you non resident hunters, I don't mean to single you guys out, but what is the story on the state you leave to come hunt here?
Texas...IMO has become a commercialized operation and has driven prices up, that the average guy won't shell out that kind of money.

I suppose this question is directed at me, mostly. I only hunt in OK. Why? Was born and raised in Newport Beach, CA. Went to college in Stillwater. Met my wife whose from Sapulpa. As you would imagine there are not too many hunters where I grew up and none that I associated with. (Would be like you as the only surfer in OKC) Very few even owned guns. My FIL has been hunting for 55+ years and 41 one of them on the same 1000 acre lease. I hunt with him and OK is where I learned to hunt. The hunting scene in CA is messed up as it is. Anything that represents decent hunting is in far northern CA.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suppose this question is directed at me, mostly. I only hunt in OK. Why? Was born and raised in Newport Beach, CA. Went to college in Stillwater. Met my wife whose from Sapulpa. As you would imagine there are not too many hunters where I grew up and none that I associated with. (Would be like you as the only surfer in OKC) Very few even owned guns. My FIL has been hunting for 55+ years and 41 one of them on the same 1000 acre lease. I hunt with him and OK is where I learned to hunt. The hunting scene in CA is messed up as it is. Anything that represents decent hunting is in far northern CA.
But there is no surfing in Oklahoma. Even though I think "killing a wave" is some of the lingo used, the wave isn't actually killed. So back to the hunting. "The hunting scene in CA is messed up as it is, and far Northern CA is the only decent hunting." WHY? Explain it please.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many OK hunters actually hunt deer to maintain protein in their diets? Are they subsistence hunters or they would just prefer to hunt and eat their deer rather than go to the store? If they are truly in situation that they financially need to hunt deer to put meat on the table then exceptions can be given as with many regulations.

C'mon Dennis, couple things here. You think it's only non residents that shoot spikes or anything with antlers? You've been around long enough to know that is not the case. To blame and problems with the declining quality of the deer on non residents is insane. I've hunted OK for 15 seasons and just in the last two years have electronically checked deer our small group killed. Before that, we took them to the check station in Cookson. I saw some nice deer. I also saw plenty of the local hillbillies checking spikes and others I'd never think of shooting. The problems come from within the state.

This is so wrong so many ways. I've bolded a few parts which are your key issues with what I posted that you have taken out of context.

I can't post numbers, and you can't either, but the number of people that rely on deer hunting to put protein on their table is much higher than you can imagine.

After hunting a DMAP for 11 years where we have to take 40 does a year, working with GW's and local processors, to provide the protein to family's and programs that feed the hungry that REALLY need it, I've came to the conclusion that some of us are really lucky.
What regulations would you suggest changing to make it easier for them?

I never said that only non residents shoot spikes or small racked deer. You said that I did.
I did say that the folks from out of state that lease around us, and reliable check station reports from folks that used to check licenses and tags made a mental note that a lot out of staters didn't want to go home empty handed so they shot what they could. If you don't, then kudu's to you. We appreciate that.

Out of state hunters aren't the main problem.

The term you used, "local hillbilly's" probably sets the tone for the attitude most people from California have for the rest of the country. Your elitist attitude, just blew your whole post into the water.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I assumed you associated it with the declining condition of the OK deer population. Just couldn't comprehend such a ludicrous regulation due to lease rates. So, your asking the ODW to interfere where they don't belong? What side of the coin were you on the last couple years with regards to cost of ammo? Free market or gouging?

If the dept is managed correctly more money is always helpful. How about more money helping fund more salaries of game wardens to help reduce poaching, more education to all hunters, better habitat establishment. Lots of things can be done with more money.

Isn't gouging one aspect of free market? I was on the side of the coin that didn't think it was right to hoard and sell .22lr for 4 times its worth because people would buy it.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My iPad is giving me problems replying to multiple quotes/posts so I'll respond to the last couple here.

'Bassin: the surfer was the first example that came to mind. How about scuba diving. Plenty of dive shops in OK, that I've seen and people do it in the lakes. Obviously better if you go out of state.

Hunting in CA. In SoCal, where I live, most of the hunting for the Blacktail (sort of a hybrid Blacktail/mule or whatnot) is done in the local mountains, for the most part. Much of it is steep and rugged terrain and can be difficult to navigate. Unless things have changed recently, the deer season locally starts in Sept/Oct. Some area start as early as mid-August. These hunting areas can get very hot during the day and with the number and quality of deer, it is not a very tempting adventure. There are Hunting Zones A, B, C, D, X throughout the state. Each Zone is then broken down into as many as 19 separate "sub zones". In much of the "better" hunting areas in NorCal, 8-12 hours north of here, the terrain is still difficult but more similar to the PNW and tend to have better quality deer. The big issue is that that has come up in recent years are hunters stumbling upon illegal pot growers in the middle of no where. If the terrain and quality of bucks that NorCal has was closer to me I probably give CA a shot at hunting it.

Dennis: elitist I am not. I suppose it OK to bash/name-call Californians in every thread on OSA and all is good but I use the term hillbilly and my and my arguments hold no water? Interesting though.

I would imagine that it would be next to impossible to find hard numbers on hunters that put meat on the table to be able to live. The truly poor or individuals whom need the deer meat survive should have few obstacles to do so. Many on OSA hunt and eat what they kill because they say they enjoy the taste of venison and saves them some money. I have no problem with this. What I would say is that you probably don't need to shoot a spike buck or even a fork horn to subsits on deer meat. In the end I think more regulation needs to be place on the taking of young bucks no matter how the meat is utilized.

On the out of staters and the check stations. You ONLY mentioned the out of state hunters and them not wanting to go home empty handed. To me, this implies it was only them that did this. There are plenty of OK hunters that don't want to go home empty handed as well. I don't shoot small bucks. I had a chance to shoot one of the only deer I saw (6point -no brow times) in 30+ hours of sitting several weeks ago and passed. I passed because I saw the potential that deer had in future years.

I'm not an expert hunter or game manager and don't have the right answers, however, I've hunted OK long enough each deer season and have notice the deer population continually declining the last 4-6 years in Eastern OK. I sure hope the people at the top of the ODW all the way down to the hunter can figure things out for the benefit of the deer population.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis: elitist I am not. I suppose it OK to bash/name-call Californians in every thread on OSA and all is good but I use the term hillbilly and my and my arguments hold no water? Interesting though.

I would imagine that it would be next to impossible to find hard numbers on hunters that put meat on the table to be able to live. The truly poor or individuals whom need the deer meat survive should have few obstacles to do so. Many on OSA hunt and eat what they kill because they say they enjoy the taste of venison and saves them some money. I have no problem with this. What I would say is that you probably don't need to shoot a spike buck or even a fork horn to subsits on deer meat. In the end I think more regulation needs to be place on the taking of young bucks no matter how the meat is utilized.

On the out of staters and the check stations. You ONLY mentioned the out of state hunters and them not wanting to go home empty handed. To me, this implies it was only them that did this. There are plenty of OK hunters that don't want to go home empty handed as well. I don't shoot small bucks. I had a chance to shoot one of the only deer I saw (6point -no brow times) in 30+ hours of sitting several weeks ago and passed. I passed because I saw the potential that deer had in future years.

I'm not an expert hunter or game manager and don't have the right answers, however, I've hunted OK long enough each deer season and have notice the deer population continually declining the last 4-6 years in Eastern OK. I sure hope the people at the top of the ODW all the way down to the hunter can figure things out for the benefit of the deer population.
I don't understand. The part in red says one thing, yet you say you don't need to shoot a spike hightlighted in the blue.

I don't understand what you mean in the green in relationship with what you said in the two previous sentences.

I acknowledged that out of state hunters aren't the only problem. I said that the check station owners that I know said that the out of state hunters that checked in did so, and made comments to them that they didn't want to go home empty handed. If they like you wanted to see super bucks, they wouldn't have taken home fork horns.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The green bold didnt work.

Here is the text I didn't understand.

In the end I think more regulation needs to be place on the taking of young bucks no matter how the meat is utilize

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bassin here's a link. A two day non resident license is 46.50 deer tags are extra. I've hunted near oakdale and Turlock and it's kinda fun. Hot as hell but not unlike wyoming antelope hunting the first part of September. I won't go back to California ever agin though. Way to much bs and lots of non hunting friendly yuppies. Most guys I know who live there hunt elsewhere or do the right thing and move somewhere else.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Hunting

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom