In 15 minutes, I'll be unemployed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on you, Doc. Family is important.

Like Jimgrs, my jobs tended to be ones where the days were long or I was away for extended times. Some years ago, my oldest son expressed the thought that I didn't love his mom (and I suspect him as well) because I wasn't one to show affection. A few months ago, at 48 years old, he took me aside and told me that now that he was a father of four, he understood just how much I sacrificed in the past. I'm not ashamed to say that both of us had tears in our eyes during that conversation.

Our youngest son is going to have some surgeries fairly soon and since he isn't married, thus has no "live in" nurse, we are returning to Oklahoma for about 3 months so we can help him out. We also hope to spend more time with the oldest son and his family as well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good on you, Doc. Family is important.

Like Jimgrs, my jobs tended to be ones where the days were long or I was away for extended times. Some years ago, my oldest son expressed the thought that I didn't love his mom (and I suspect him as well) because I wasn't one to show affection. A few months ago, at 48 years old, he took me aside and told me that now that he was a father of four, he understood just how much I sacrificed in the past. I'm not ashamed to say that both of us had tears in our eyes during that conversation.

Our youngest son is going to have some surgeries fairly soon and since he isn't married, thus has no "live in" nurse, we are returning to Oklahoma for about 3 months so we can help him out. We also hope to spend more time with the oldest son and his family as well.

I'm trying to take the lessons of my elders & betters to heart. Everyone always gives out the advice to spend more time with family, especially your kids, and not let work consume your life. Everyone always says, "I worked hard to be a provider, and I lost my family," or something along those lines. I will still have a demanding career, but I'm trying to listen to those voices of wisdom from the past who've been where I've been (and am) and am trying to make the changes I need to make in my life to improve it.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Wife went to work when my oldest turned 15 and was mature beyond his years. Until then I worked 6-7 days a week what ever hours it took to keep a float. Had a lot of lost time to make up for and still making up for it today!! All my kids appreciate what I did but all have said they would have rather had me home more!!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats, but youre doin it wrong. You need to retire early and send your wife to work :urwelcome:

Oh she works... believe me, she works. I'm not one of those who thinks a woman without a paying job isn't "working". We just came back from the monthly board meeting for a non-profit we are on (she is the President of the Board) and I was astounded at what we have accomplished just in the last 6 months since she took over. It is INCREDIBLE! And taking care of the house, me, The Boy, my own parents half the time, lol. It's been something else, and I am blessed to have her as a 100% partner. We are in agreement on almost everything, almost never even disagree, much less actually "fight". We've NEVER had a screaming match, nothing like that - and some of you who know what we've been through know that's amazing in itself. lol

She works. And I appreciate it and this is a big part, too, of why I want to be here - to shoulder some more of the responsibility and workload so she doesn't have to do it ALL. I'm looking forward to it, too.

Thanks to all for your congrats and encouragement. It's been a tough decision and quite daunting to think about a 50% pay cut, but I think we're going to make it. We're trusting God to lead us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom