Info on Mosins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a converted sniper 91-30 from Empire Arms. Found a proper scope, and drilled out and re-tapped the welded up holes in the receiver. Took a while, but when it was done it was super accurate.

The downside was that it was so long it was difficult to handle in a stand, and the safety requires gorilla fingers. There is a mod to the bolt that puts a wire loop on, and makes the safety usable. I head-shot one coyote at 200 yards. The dog collar strap system is also somewhat clumsy, especially if you are in the brush.

Hunting with a Mosin Nagant to honor the hard men and women who used them is admirable, but if you just want a rifle to hunt with I strongly recommend something commercial. If you look around, now that deer season is essentially over, you can probably find something in 30-06 or .270 that will not cost much more than an MN.

By all means, everyone should have at least one of these. The best ones are those made in Finland, but bring money! Other countries of origin in addition to the former Soviet Union include: Poland, Hungary, Romania, China, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Serbia, Spain, Turkey, United States, and Yugoslavia.

Get on Dennis Kroh's mailing list. He occasionally offers exceptionally nice Mosins, and sells all sorts of other milsurps. Good guy to deal with. http://www.empirearms.com/

I am currently free of the 7.62x54R obsession. Gave my last model 44 to my oldest son, but the itch is returning . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom