Input wanted, negative and positive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't realize I was using both hands on the shirt. Good point.

Michael, I do plan on going to one of the ranges that has instructors, just got to get it worked into my schedule. Living 3 hours from Tulsa and 4 hours from OKC kinda puts a damper on things like that. But it will happen, if I live long enough.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slow repetion is the way to go.

I agree with what people are saying about uncovering with the weak hand only.

Square up with target.

Use only weak hand to uncover clothing.

Draw pistol and as soon as you clear the holster force your elbow down towards the ground. At that point your forearm will be close to your hip and you could fire at someone at close distance. From there you could push it out straight with one hand or put your weak hand on the weapon and push it out with two hands. You are pretty close but you are still bringing the gun up in kind of an arc. When you drop the elbow as soon as possible you are low but you are perpendicular to the target and can fire anywhere from the hip all the way up to your sight picure.

There still is a small arc but faster than a big one.

You are really close and a lot of armchair warriors don't practice at all.

Keep up the good work.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The video is too far away to see the fine details of your presentation. What kind of holster are you using? It looks like it's catching a little. As someone else suggested, you should be square to the target with both toes pointing at it. With an IWB under a shirt, I use my strong side thumb to locate the side of the grip under the shirt as the off hand lifts the garment. That also serves as the entry point for the strong hand to clear the cover garment solo, should the off hand be busy with other matters such a fending off an attacker, operating a light or covering a protectee. As has been pointed out, as soon as the muzzle clears the holster, the elbow should tuck and the muzzle brought horizontal onto the target. The off hand should meet the grip just forward and above the navel, with the strong hand thumb riding atop the thumb safety. The off hand thumb should point forward towards the target and slide in under and forward of the other thumb. At this point both thumbs and the trigger finger should all be pointed at the target. As the gun is punched up and directly toward the target, the trigger finger goes in and preps for the shot break as soon as the front sight touches the center of the target.

A point of safety. When reholstering in an IWB, tuck the strong side foot in and kick your hip out. This keeps the muzzle from covering any portion of your body as you holster. Reholstering safety is one area that doesn't get enough attention, particularly for IWB users.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll add this little tid bit....
It's GREAT that you're doing drills and practicing draws from concealment! However, I would say that twenty yards is a bit ambitious. Accuracy takes time, precious time. If you actually ever had to use your weapon defensively, stats show that it's going to be between seven to eleven feet on average. (according to my buddy, the internet) Personally, I'd rather shoot at paper at that close range instead of steel...but maybe that's just me. Anyway...it's something to consider. If nothing else, start closer and back up as you speed up. Crawl, walk, run.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very good feedback from all. Thank you.

GTG, I'm using a Crossbreed Super Tuck.

I've done this before with my shirt unbuttoned, and can sweep the shirt out of the way with my strong hand and draw. A buttoned shirt is a whole different animal. But since that's the way I usually wear one when I'm carrying, I thought I ought to practice a bit that way.

The primary reason I bought a 1911 to begin with, other than I've just always wanted one, is I hope to try the Wild Bunch in SASS. I've just got to get a Win '97 now.

Glocks? Most of the ones I've shot I didn't like. But Redmaxx has one with a custom trigger that I shot a couple of weeks ago while in Tulsa. That gun could get habit forming. I was really impressed with the trigger pull.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Glocks? Most of the ones I've shot I didn't like. But Redmaxx has one with a custom trigger that I shot a couple of weeks ago while in Tulsa. That gun could get habit forming. I was really impressed with the trigger pull.

Nothing custom about it ,Terry,just a 3.5# connector like all mine have in them.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My input would be to get to TDSA or USSA. There seems to be a lot of wasted motion in your draw. Smoothness and economy of motion is what'll make you fast. Also I'm not a 1911 guy, but I'd disengage the safety as your pistol comes level to the ground not at extension.

Latest posts

Top Bottom