Input wanted, negative and positive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I filmed myself drawing from cover and firing at a steel target at about 20 yards. I want y'all to tell me what I'm doing wrong, and what (if anything) I'm doing right. I know I need to work on speed, but the 1911 just doesn't come up to me, I have to hunt for the front sight. Curious about stance, presentation etc.
One thing I saw on the first shot, I released the safety with my weak hand before getting a two hand grip. Should do that with the strong hand thumb. Holster is a Crossbreed Super Tuck.

If time on target was the only factor in a carry weapon, the 1851 Navy would be my first choice. I can ring steel in half the time with it as I can my 1911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDPXIvZmFg

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool Videos.
Slow is smooth, smooth is Fast
weak hand uncovers the gun
the safety is like a thumb rest
I.. draw my 1911 from the top, thumb automatically goes on the safety
Someone will come along with more detailed advice...I just really wanted to say...Cool Videos

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm darn sure no expert, but it looks like you could work on your foot placement in your stance.

Square up facing the target, and place your feet under your shoulders, with toes pointing forward. Mybe bend your knees a little.

If I am wrong, I'm sure some of the experts on here will let you know. :)

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It might sound silly, but perhaps the angle of the grip is what's throwing you off?

I'm used to aiming and shooting with my 1911, which has a more angled grip than most other guns. When shooting my father-in-laws M&P 40, I had to adjust every time I pulled it up to sight and fire. The fact that the grip is at more of a 90 degree angle than the 1911 I'm used to firing caused me to aim the gun low and I had to force myself to lift the front sight up and above the angle I've grown to naturally draw to.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, I'm sure you're right about the grip angle. A lot of experts have written that the 1911 has the most perfect grip angle of any gun, but I don't think it's perfect for everyone. I've spent most of my life shooting single action revolvers, the only semi autos I have are the old Colt Woodsman, a S&W 22-A, and the 1911. The Woodsman has more angle and seems to fit me better than the 1911.

D

daddyof3_101

When I draw my "free" hand is all I use to remove my cover garment. It looks like you are using your strong hand to lift your shirt and then your weak hand to get it out of the way. Also when Im drawing a 1911 my thumb is releasing the safty as I am coming up to the target. Not once I am on it. But it still looked like a good draw. And since I heard the steel ringing that is the most important thing. The quickest draw in the world will be dead in his first gun fight if he cant hit what he is aiming at.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It might sound silly, but perhaps the angle of the grip is what's throwing you off?

I'm used to aiming and shooting with my 1911, which has a more angled grip than most other guns. When shooting my father-in-laws M&P 40, I had to adjust every time I pulled it up to sight and fire. The fact that the grip is at more of a 90 degree angle than the 1911 I'm used to firing caused me to aim the gun low and I had to force myself to lift the front sight up and above the angle I've grown to naturally draw to.

you could change the mainspring housing. for me the flat works best. that 1/4" hump of the arched makes me hunt for the front sight. some people will need the opposite.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Danny, I'm sure you're right about the grip angle. A lot of experts have written that the 1911 has the most perfect grip angle of any gun, but I don't think it's perfect for everyone. I've spent most of my life shooting single action revolvers, the only semi autos I have are the old Colt Woodsman, a S&W 22-A, and the 1911. The Woodsman has more angle and seems to fit me better than the 1911.

While the grip angle may indeed be suboptimal for you, the lack of speed is due to the lack of smoothness in the presentation i.e. excess motion.

You can probably get decent advice on improving this aspect of your skillset on the internet but you will get the best results by investing in professional coaching. There are several good choices in Oklahoma and we have far more reasonably priced options than most places in the country.

Most people hate to spend money, but there are very few highly skilled shooters who haven't had the direct benefit of a coach at some point.

Michael Brown

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might look into clearing your cover garment with one hand, leaving the other free for defensive efforts...the two handed drill is valid, but ties up both hands.

Latest posts

Top Bottom