institute antler restriction for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there a group lobbying for the institution of of some kind of antler restriction for Oklahoma? I personally would like to join or start a committee to have something put in place. I do my part to enhance the quality of deer on my property by passing on anything less than 8 points, however there is no doubt in my mind that they fall into the crosshairs of my neighbors as soon as they cross the fence. I would support a 6 point minimum and increase the allowed number of does taken. I think the restriction should be for rifle only, anyone bow or muzzleloader hunting shouldn't fall under the same restriction. any thoughts or insight into the possible affects on the deer population would be appreciated.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, studies show that to increase the genetic likelihood of quality racks, you should cull all spikes and small forked horns, and leave the young 6 pointers to mature.

I've killed spikes that were in the 3.5-5.5 year range, and they will never produce a quality rack. Keep in mind that food quality also affects good antler growth.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt in Arkansas and they have a 3 point (on one side) rule. It is good and bad. Yes the deer have seemed to get bigger and somewhat better in the area I hunt, however we also have a spike that is at least 6-7 years old now. He is routinely seen enough that he has gotten the nick name of "old cow horns" because his horns look like a cows. We can't kill him and he's spreading those genes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom