Deer gun season to possibly increase in 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Governor and Lt Gov want to make Oklahoma the top 10 destination for fishing and possibly hunting. To me this smells of greed at the highest level and the hell with the wildlife. Let's promote tourism at all cost. If you want to see the end result then go to Broken Bow on a summer weekend and fight the traffic jams, see the gated communities, pay $18.00+ for a hamburger and fries and call that a fun weekend. 1 acre building lots have been reportedly costing $200,000.00. Its called "scenic" yet 60 years ago it was called $75.00/acre rocky ground good for nothing. IMHO Broken Bow and Hochatown are ruined because of greed. End of rant.
Yep, a Dallas, Fort Worth suburb now. We have a friend that lives in that area. Nothing but Tx tags during deer season according to him.
It's not getting any better in my neck of the woods in NW Ok. 10 years ago you could knock on a door and maybe get permission to hunt. Not any more. At the local convenience store which is the only business in town other than the bank and a mechanics shop, the day before Mz Season and gun season, the parking lots are full of trucks and trailers from Tx that have found land in this part of Ok is cheap to lease vs Tx prices with bigger deer.
I've been approached by several wanting to lease mine but its not gonna happen. Apparently people scour the public land records looking for land that folks don't live on and try to lease.
I have a place on the Salt Fork in the area a landowner that leases to anybody with money. They aren't going to leave without some meat. Consequently we don't have anything bigger than fork horn yearlings on the place. Got a cam and corn pile in place since September with nothing but does and forks on it.
Same place in another thread where I have a trespasser.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, a Dallas, Fort Worth suburb now. We have a friend that lives in that area. Nothing but Tx tags during deer season according to him.
It's not getting any better in my neck of the woods in NW Ok. 10 years ago you could knock on a door and maybe get permission to hunt. Not any more. At the local convenience store which is the only business in town other than the bank and a mechanics shop, the day before Mz Season and gun season, the parking lots are full of trucks and trailers from Tx that have found land in this part of Ok is cheap to lease vs Tx prices with bigger deer.
I've been approached by several wanting to lease mine but its not gonna happen. Apparently people scour the public land records looking for land that folks don't live on and try to lease.
I have a place on the Salt Fork in the area a landowner that leases to anybody with money. They aren't going to leave without some meat. Consequently we don't have anything bigger than fork horn yearlings on the place. Got a cam and corn pile in place since September with nothing but does and forks on it.
Same place in another thread where I have a trespasser.
Ok, ok, I get it! I’m the SOB here.:rolleyes2
I did just mailed a check for my property taxes to Alfalfa county though, and I completed a survey for ODWC. The opinions I expressed on the proposed changes on here were conveyed in the survey.
One question that I found interesting was “do you support going to one buck for non residents”, and of course, I answered “yes”. What was odd though, it was a separate question from the “do you support going to one buck in general”. Personally, I’d be pissed if they let residents kill two bucks and only let non residents kill one, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
The rules for my place are much stricter than what the state’s are anyway, so...:anyone:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, ok, I get it! I’m the SOB here.:rolleyes2
I did just mailed a check for my property taxes to Alfalfa county though, and I completed a survey for ODWC. The opinions I expressed on the proposed changes on here were conveyed in the survey.
One question that I found interesting was “do you support going to one buck for non residents”, and of course, I answered “yes”. What was odd though, it was a separate question from the “do you support going to one buck in general”. Personally, I’d be pissed if they let residents kill two bucks and only let non residents kill one, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
The rules for my place are much stricter than what the state’s are anyway, so...:anyone:
I will still shake your hand and would help you as if you were my neighbor.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anecdotally it seems like there's more support here for not lengthening gun season than there was 8-10 years ago when we discussed this. Wonder if folks are seeing the inklings of the changes we could be headed for more and more.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anecdotally it seems like there's more support here for not lengthening gun season than there was 8-10 years ago when we discussed this. Wonder if folks are seeing the inklings of the changes we could be headed for more and more.
From what I’m seeing on FB, the people that are for extending the season only have selfish reasons and don’t appear to have any concern for deer management.:scratch:

My family has been management minded for over 20 years on our places in TX and OK, and it surprises me how many people are still in the “I have x number of tags and have to fill them” mindset. Sadly, my best friend is in this camp and will never be invited to hunt any of my places, and he would give his left nut to get to hunt with me in OK.

Last edited:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of people years ago used to call it an elitist bowhunter argument to be in favor of shorter gun seasons or gun seasons outside the rut. I've always thought the same as others like bassin are posting...it's the opposite of elitist. I think it hurts the average guy to lengthen gun.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I’m seeing on FB, the people that are for extending the season only have selfish reasons and don’t appear to have any concern for deer management.:scratch:

My family has been management minded for over 20 years on our places in TX and OK, and it surprises me how many people are still in the “I have x number of tags and have to fill them” mindset. Sadly, my best friend is in this camp and will never be invited to hunt any of my places, and he would give his left nut to get to hunt with me in OK.
I have friends of similar mindset. It is not that they fill every tag but that they (family) will shoot 2-4 young bucks and maybe 3 doe. "We never see a big buck" "We don't see many bucks, so we shoot one if we see one."
Neither problem will be solved by a longer season.
I am not sure of the full biological side of it, but move MZ season and give a 9 day gun season in its place only for doe.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like the way our seasons and limits are structured right now. I see no need to change anything.

If they want to shoot more does they should increase the holiday doe season a week thru new years or even run it to the end of bow season. I know I for one would shoot more does as often I don't have time to get out or the weather isn't decent enough in the 9 days currently allotted.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t killed a buck since 2013 and I don’t understand why anyone would kill a spike or really small/young buck just because it has horns.

I vote for leaving seasons as they are now with the exception of allowing folks too gun hunt does from gun season through the end of December.

At least for a year or two.

I haven’t shot four does in a year ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom