Intruders 0 - Homeowner's Son 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I didn't read every post, but I did read a lot that said it would never be random. That's absolute ********! We were a victim of a random home invasion...it freakin' happens. It happened on a snow day when these high school thugs thought they could go around thieving people. Wrong! My very grown boys were also at home. The ass hats saw my boys after they broke through the door and ran...thank God! No one got hurt. The police told us they wished they had to sweep them off our porch. Fortunately they continued and got caught a few weeks later. Very lucky they were still alive around here with that behavior.

Should you know someone, especially someone's kid, who thinks this is a righteous endeavor...it's gonna get them dead.

I don't think anyone said this would NEVER be random, certainly I didn't think that. I just thought it sounded like there might be SOME connection. Of course, it turns out if there was any connection, it was tangential at best, I think I read the getaway driver had some roundabout knowledge of the home or people. I don't know, either way, like I said before, it's a big, fancy house, people living hand-to-mouth packed into sh***y apartments and robbing other folks to make the bills are gonna look at that place and assume someone rich lives there.

I'm not sure if I'm glad it turned out the way it did.... the the homeowner and his son had no connection to the wrongdoers. To clarify... it would have made me feel better about my life, safety, etc., had it turned out they were connected to some kind of illicit activity and this is what backfired on them. However, since it seems they were not connected in any way, then it truly was a case of someone living their lives, going about their business and being targeted by the criminal element without any wrongdoing of their own - this is the thing that scares me. I know it happens, but I'd like to think it happens rarely, if ever, and that it could never happen to me or mine.

Of course, we try to keep a low profile if possible, and I certainly don't live in a house that screams affluence as much as the one in question, but it doesn't take much to look "rich" to someone living in the slums on whatever they can scrape up.

<sigh>

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think anyone said this would NEVER be random, certainly I didn't think that. I just thought it sounded like there might be SOME connection. Of course, it turns out if there was any connection, it was tangential at best, I think I read the getaway driver had some roundabout knowledge of the home or people. I don't know, either way, like I said before, it's a big, fancy house, people living hand-to-mouth packed into sh***y apartments and robbing other folks to make the bills are gonna look at that place and assume someone rich lives there.

I'm not sure if I'm glad it turned out the way it did.... the the homeowner and his son had no connection to the wrongdoers. To clarify... it would have made me feel better about my life, safety, etc., had it turned out they were connected to some kind of illicit activity and this is what backfired on them. However, since it seems they were not connected in any way, then it truly was a case of someone living their lives, going about their business and being targeted by the criminal element without any wrongdoing of their own - this is the thing that scares me. I know it happens, but I'd like to think it happens rarely, if ever, and that it could never happen to me or mine.

Of course, we try to keep a low profile if possible, and I certainly don't live in a house that screams affluence as much as the one in question, but it doesn't take much to look "rich" to someone living in the slums on whatever they can scrape up.

<sigh>

It's kind of amazing your comments about living in a home that doesn't show affluence. A few posts above and in another thread some retired guy without a dime to spare gets burglarized multiple times.
That appears to be not uncommon. The non affluent rob and steal from the non affluent. Yes, there is affluent crime as well, but it seems odd to me that poor rob poor.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's kind of amazing your comments about living in a home that doesn't show affluence. A few posts above and in another thread some retired guy without a dime to spare gets burglarized multiple times.
That appears to be not uncommon. The non affluent rob and steal from the non affluent. Yes, there is affluent crime as well, but it seems odd to me that poor rob poor.

I think you are right, by and large... the everyday burglary, messing with people kind of stuff. But then you see some of these folks who tend to try to step up out of the area they are familiar with, I guess? Like in this story, these people apparently (from later comments by the driver) try to move out into nicer areas to get nicer stuff. I don't think it's all that common, and I think there are reasons for it. For instance, perhaps the "brighter" thugs who are ripping people off to support themselves might actually realize that more affluent neighborhoods and homes have a number of things you don't see often in "tha hood" which would increase their chances of apprehension or getting themselves dead.

1. More likely to have alarm systems +/- video monitoring with police response

2. More likely to have firearms handy. As you move up the ladder of socio-economic status, people can and often do become more conservative and/or right-leaning, which would include becoming more aware of the need to protect themselves and their family and possessions. They can also afford to arm themselves better and more plentifully. This is why it always blows my mind that so many left-leaning gun-control activists don't seem to get that increasing restrictions on firearms hurts the poor more than anyone?

3. It seems to me, in more affluent neighborhoods, people might pay more attention to what is going on, who is cruising the block, when people and/or vehicles seem out of place or are acting oddly? More likely to have neighborhood watch-type organizations, etc. Let's face it, in the hood surrounded by crackhouses, they may see people of all types coming and going at all hours. That kind of thing will stand out more to residents in more affluent neighborhoods.

I don't know, for sure. I live in an older, middle income neighborhood. I certainly don't want a McMansion in town. If I'm going to buy a ****** nicer home (I'd like to, sometime) it will be out in the country with well-lit open sightlines and probably some form of controlled access, and ideally not visible from a main road. However, I was starting to look into this lately, but I guess it's going to be a while yet. <sigh>

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

I think you are right, by and large... the everyday burglary, messing with people kind of stuff. But then you see some of these folks who tend to try to step up out of the area they are familiar with, I guess? Like in this story, these people apparently (from later comments by the driver) try to move out into nicer areas to get nicer stuff. I don't think it's all that common, and I think there are reasons for it. For instance, perhaps the "brighter" thugs who are ripping people off to support themselves might actually realize that more affluent neighborhoods and homes have a number of things you don't see often in "tha hood" which would increase their chances of apprehension or getting themselves dead.

1. More likely to have alarm systems +/- video monitoring with police response

2. More likely to have firearms handy. As you move up the ladder of socio-economic status, people can and often do become more conservative and/or right-leaning, which would include becoming more aware of the need to protect themselves and their family and possessions. They can also afford to arm themselves better and more plentifully. This is why it always blows my mind that so many left-leaning gun-control activists don't seem to get that increasing restrictions on firearms hurts the poor more than anyone?

3. It seems to me, in more affluent neighborhoods, people might pay more attention to what is going on, who is cruising the block, when people and/or vehicles seem out of place or are acting oddly? More likely to have neighborhood watch-type organizations, etc. Let's face it, in the hood surrounded by crackhouses, they may see people of all types coming and going at all hours. That kind of thing will stand out more to residents in more affluent neighborhoods.

I don't know, for sure. I live in an older, middle income neighborhood. I certainly don't want a McMansion in town. If I'm going to buy a ****** nicer home (I'd like to, sometime) it will be out in the country with well-lit open sightlines and probably some form of controlled access, and ideally not visible from a main road. However, I was starting to look into this lately, but I guess it's going to be a while yet. <sigh>

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a teacher, a Lady named Ruby Payne writes about understanding poverty and working with people in poverty. She discusses why people in poverty do the things they do and why they see it as acceptable.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maxwell Cook certainly came from a poor family.

I heard she said they were all doing meth. Can anyone confirm?

I went to the memorial service for Max yesterday. 2 different pastors spoke who had had him in their youth groups. His former scout leader spoke and broke down into tears.

His mom had so much composure that she led a song with the worship team. There wasn't a dry eye in the place.

About 250 people there to remember a kid who threw his life away.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

<sigh>

I'm glad there hasn't been anything revealed that would otherwise tarnish what is a near textbook example of use of force in the home. It bolsters what we already knew, that people are out there that will invade your home in numbers, which is why we advocate the use of arms such as the AR platform.

As for the other part, it doesn't alter my thoughts on my safety or the dangers out there. Be polite, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. :lookaroun

Latest posts

Top Bottom