Is an innocent man going to be executed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"When he was first questioned by detectives Sneed said he didn't know anything about the murder. Then he said he didn't kill Mr. Van Treese. Then he admitted that he did but said it was an accident, he only meant to rob him and knock him out. Then, after the detectives told him that they didn't believe he acted alone, that they had Glossip in custody, and that it would be better for him if he gave them another name, Sneed finally said that Richard Glossip got him to kill Barry Van Treese. After getting what they were looking for, the police assured Sneed that this story would help him avoid the death penalty."

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...or_or_supreme_court_should_stay_oklahoma.html

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Richard Leo of the University of San Francisco Law School, arguably the country’s foremost expert on false confessions, concluded after watching a video of the interrogation that the tactics the detectives used on Sneed “are substantially likely to increase the risk of eliciting false statements, admissions, and confessions.” This is because, Leo contends, the detectives “presumed the guilt of Richard Glossip from almost the start and sought to pressure and persuade Justin Sneed to implicate Richard Glossip.”

It is bad enough that Sneed received a deal in exchange for his testimony. It is worse that the detective “educated” Sneed about Glossip being the mastermind. But what’s not only unforgivable, but downright immoral, is that the prosecution put forward the Glossip-as-mastermind theory in a capital case, with a man’s life on the line, when Sneed couldn’t even keep his story straight. According to a recent letter signed by the Innocence Project’s Barry Scheck, Sen. Coburn, and others:

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading about this case, I don't believe that Richard Glossip, who is sentenced to die for contracting Justin Sneed to murder Barry Van Treese, was adequately represented in either of his two trials. There is no physical evidence connecting Glossip to the crime, and Glossip's best defense lawyer was forced to recuse himself after Justin Sneed (the killer) made accusations that the defense attorney threatened him. This case is based on the testimony of a confessed killer (Justin Sneed), who was able to save his own life by accusing Glossip, as well as a possible false confession by Glossip, which has never been challenged in court by competent defense.

False confessions are not uncommon, with the Innocence Project reporting that 28% of those unquestionably exonerated by DNA evidence had falsely confessed.

Everyone deserves a fair trial, and I don't believe Glossip got one. This is not to say he is necessarily innocent, but this is an injustice and I urge you to read about the case and speak out if you agree he did not receive a fair trial (guilty or not).

Here is the phone number for the Governor's Comment Line:
(405) 521-2342

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After reading about this case, I don't believe that Richard Glossip, who is sentenced to die for contracting Justin Sneed to murder Barry Van Treese, was adequately represented in either of his two trials. There is no physical evidence connecting Glossip to the crime, and Glossip's best defense lawyer was forced to recuse himself after Justin Sneed (the killer) made accusations that the defense attorney threatened him. This case is based on the testimony of a confessed killer (Justin Sneed), who was able to save his own life by accusing Glossip, as well as a possible false confession by Glossip, which has never been challenged in court by competent defense.

False confessions are not uncommon, with the Innocence Project reporting that 28% of those unquestionably exonerated by DNA evidence had falsely confessed.

Everyone deserves a fair trial, and I don't believe Glossip got one. This is not to say he is necessarily innocent, but this is an injustice and I urge you to read about the case and speak out if you agree he did not receive a fair trial (guilty or not).

Here is the phone number for the Governor's Comment Line:
(405) 521-2342

The governess has made her position clear. I wouldn't expect any assistance from her. She was perfectly content to kill the guy despite the evidence of the case begging for another look.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If DP has his way he won't.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'll be honest, Prater spooks me. Seems all too eager to either put people to jail or death on maybe evidence. The Ersland case certainly could have reasonably been manslaughter but the murder one charge and conviction he pursued says a lot about him.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Scott repeatedly refused to speak to Prater. He was not a state’s witness or on trial himself. Nor did Scott owe Prater anything in his failure to abide by the terms of his suspended sentence; Scott’s arrest took place in Rogers County, two hours from Oklahoma City. Yet as Scott sat at the police station last Tuesday, it was Prater who entered the interrogation room. As Scott later described it, Prater made it clear that he had orchestrated his arrest. Now he would be forced to talk to him."

https://theintercept.com/2015/09/29/glossip-to-die-tomorrow/

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is precisely why I'm against the death penalty. I don't believe humans can ever determine 100% that someone committed a capital offense--no matter how perfect we try to make the trial system. This man almost certainly did those terrible crimes, but I couldn't send him to die. I'm a human and my knowledge is not infallible. Innocent life is precious and valuable. Can any jury be certain enough to send a man to his death?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is precisely why I'm against the death penalty. I don't believe humans can ever determine 100% that someone committed a capital offense--no matter how perfect we try to make the trial system. This man almost certainly did those terrible crimes, but I couldn't send him to die. I'm a human and my knowledge is not infallible. Innocent life is precious and valuable. Can any jury be certain enough to send a man to his death?
I believe he was 100% innocent based on what I know. Could be he's a little guilty but I don't see any evidence at all but the confession of a self admitted murderer who was trying to avoid the needle himself.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom