Is braided line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what your wanting to do with the braid. I personally only have it on one rod that I only use for fishing a weightless frog. I using Bass Pro Extreme reel and 7'6" heavy rod. Only time I ever backlash is when I cast to hard trying to get the frog out there to far. The backlashes are actually easier for me to get out with the braid then with Mono or Fluro. Haven't had any twisting to it either.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only use that braided line for my bank rods. My bass rods all have Fluorocarbon by Pline. I've used it for about 7 years with no issues ever. I did a test one time to see how long the line was good for. 3 seasons, no kidding. No maintenance no nothing, picked up the rod and went fishing. Same casting distance and and very tough line.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it all depends on what your wanting to do with the braid. I personally only have it on one rod that I only use for fishing a weightless frog. I using Bass Pro Extreme reel and 7'6" heavy rod. Only time I ever backlash is when I cast to hard trying to get the frog out there to far. The backlashes are actually easier for me to get out with the braid then with Mono or Fluro. Haven't had any twisting to it either.

I kind of got the opposite, its seemed that the braided knots up and is a paint to get out cause it doesnt slide against its self like mono does.

solocam_slayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive tried braided 2 or 3 times and every time i end up rippin it off and goin back to my good old stren-it just knots up too much and when it does u have to cut it out not untie it

Turtle

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It could be the brand. I went the cheap route and ended up getting some braid from the "Team Catfish" brand and used it for bass fishing. It was 8 or 9 bucks for 50lb test. I couldn't see spending the money on the Power Pro for something that should work the same.

I'm not saying Power Pro isn't good...i just couldn't justify the cost.

Teeeroy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think the braided stuff is as sensitive as the mono or fluorocarbon stuff. I usually stick with mono.

Actually, it's pretty sensitive because it doesn't stretch. I don't particularly like it myself, though, since it feels like I'm fishing with rope. It has its applications, like pitching and flipping in thick grass, lilly pads, etc. But I just don't like the way it handles.

I tend to backlash it after flipping for awhile and then trying a long cast.

I use Stren 14 lb mono almost exclusively. Heck, it was good enough for ol' Bill Dance all those years.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up, we used braided a lot to throw lighter baits with a heavier setup with no sacrifice on cast distance, etc. so you could throw a Model A Bomber off a baitcaster and it would work just fine and run better than heavier line. Only problem is when you snag. Mono you can just snap off, with braid, dig out the knife...

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 10/2 power pro yellow for crappie dipping/doodlesocking and it works fine. I am about to add 65/16 Power Pro on two of my large catfish rods because it will not deteriorate near as quickly as mono.

Latest posts

Top Bottom