Is braided line

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used braided line for my catfish rigs for years and my dad still does. I've switched to mono for about everything now. Spiderwire was the brand of the braided that I used and the mono that I currently use. I never have had a problem with either.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, it's pretty sensitive because it doesn't stretch. I don't particularly like it myself, though, since it feels like I'm fishing with rope. It has its applications, like pitching and flipping in thick grass, lilly pads, etc. But I just don't like the way it handles.

I tend to backlash it after flipping for awhile and then trying a long cast.

I use Stren 14 lb mono almost exclusively. Heck, it was good enough for ol' Bill Dance all those years.

Maybe it is that it is too sensitive. Everything big or small fish or debris feels the same. It just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I'm weird. :anyone:

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta tell you, I've been using spiderwire for the last 15 or so years (since it came out basically), and I can't stop using it. For me, any backlashes are easier to get out, there's 0 stretch so setting the hook doesn't suck (I don't miss as much).. The only thing I don't care for are the cuts I've gotten while trying to get unhung from a tree, etc...

Reaction score
Interesting. Lotta mixed signals. Well I'm gonna go ahead and try the 30/8 lb. green braided for stripers - Deer Slayer explained that if casting a long ways, the lack of stretch helps you feel the bite and set the hook better, so that's kinda what I'm after for this application. Thanks all.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will bet the farm that everyone that hates braided line hasnt tried the brand Power Pro! :D I worked at the OKC Bass Pro for a couple years and I had guys swear by the stuff. I was the guy that would always tell everyone how bad braided line was because before I tried power pro I used spiderwire. Now on all of my spinning reels I use power pro because it won't corkscrew off of the reel like mono or fluorocarbon does. Not only that but you can get more line on a spinning reel because of the smaller diameter of braided. On all of my baitcasters I honestly think the best line out there is P-Line's Fluoroclear. If you pull the line out of the box and pull on it virtually all of the memory goes away. After testing just about every line BP shops sells all of my bud's agree that Power Pro with a leader of P-line Fluoroclear is the best way to go on a spinning reel, and P-line is the best line out there as far a baitcasters go period.

Latest posts

Top Bottom