Is it legal to have a gun in your car while parked in a school parking lot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 3 teachers in my family that work in public education (elementary and middle school). We got on the topic of their safety and being able to have a gun in the car, but different sources on Google were contradictory.

Is it legal for teachers to have a loaded or unloaded handgun in their locked car and unattended while it’s parked in a school parking lot?

Any definitive sources would be appreciated.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably need to check the school's policy, which will more than likely say "no."

However, whether or not any actual "charges" are made by law enforcement mostly depends on the officer. A rookie cop might write you a ticket. An old timer (like me) would probably not.

The bottom line is, it's the school's call. Chances are, it won't be tolerated by the school.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably need to check the school's policy, which will more than likely say "no."

However, whether or not any actual "charges" are made by law enforcement mostly depends on the officer. A rookie cop might write you a ticket. An old timer (like me) would probably not.

The bottom line is, it's the school's call. Chances are, it won't be tolerated by the school.

Policy doesn't trump law. It is legal as long as it's secured and out of view.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it's in their car, who's going to know? I wouldn't make a point of telling everyone in the break room, and should be fine.
My same thought about walking thru entry doors of businesses, theaters, restaurants, mall stores with gun buster/NoWeapons decals. If it’s holstered/secured/concealed correctly, not an issue. Snowflakes/hoplophobes will never see it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom