Is the .22 Rimfire a viable self defense round?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I notice most of the discussion is centered around .22 LR ... but since the original question was .22 Rimfire that would include .22 WMR as well, wouldn't it? Not a lot better, I know, but Hornady's "Critical Defense" .22 WMR at least approaches their .380 version (though I know many don't think .380's adequate, either).

www.hornady.com_assets_images_products_ammo_gel_critical_defense_compare_22wmr_380auto.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I notice most of the discussion is centered around .22 LR ... but since the original question was .22 Rimfire that would include .22 WMR as well, wouldn't it? Not a lot better, I know, but Hornady's "Critical Defense" .22 WMR at least approaches their .380 version (though I know many don't think .380's adequate, either).

www.hornady.com_assets_images_products_ammo_gel_critical_defense_compare_22wmr_380auto.jpg

The OP, me, specified rimfire .22.
The .22 mag is part of that family.

The question that is going to pop up, is what length barrel is the .22 mag shot from vs the .380 to get the results in the pic?

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OP, me, specified rimfire .22.
The .22 mag is part of that family.

The question that is going to pop up, is what length barrel is the .22 mag shot from vs the .380 to get the results in the pic?

"The top bullet is a 380 Auto 90 gr. Critical Defense round at 896 fps from a 2.75" barrel Ruger LCP. The bottom bullet is a 22 WMR 45 gr. Critical Defense round from a S&W 351 PD with a 1-7/8" barrel at 1038 fps." (from http://www.hornady.com/store/22-WMR-45gr-Critical-Defense/ )

Kel-Tec PMR-30 ... 30 of those.

[Broken External Image]

(from http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/ )

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cousin was shot point blank range twice from a .22lr Hp in the back of his head. Yeah he has plates in his head but he is alive no brain damage or anything. Dr said if it wasn't Hp it would have penetrated skull and a different story. No I do not know the brand of ammo.

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cousin was shot point blank range twice from a .22lr Hp in the back of his head. Yeah he has plates in his head but he is alive no brain damage or anything. Dr said if it wasn't Hp it would have penetrated skull and a different story. No I do not know the brand of ammo.

Am glad your cousin is OK. Sorry to hear about that. Horrible deal. Glad he's OK.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is viable, as in it is capable of ending some violent threats, and you are certainly better off with it over being unarmed. Is it ideal? Absolutely not. A 12 gauge or a center fire rifle would be ideal, but you generally can't conceal one very well or it is illegal, so we compromise and carry handguns. Some have problems with the more powerful handguns, and so carry .22s, which is even more of a compromise but is still capable of defending your life. I believe in carrying the most effective weapon that you can under the circumstances. For me that is usually a full size double stack .40. If for you that is a .22, due to strength or just that being the only thing you have, I say carry on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom