Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The flathead screwdriver isn’t used to turn most of the modern fasteners these days. The Phillips took over. The torx is know knocking the Phillips out. Atleast a flat blade can be used for prying and chiseling. What the hell we gonna do with the Phillips.

Throw them in the trash where they belong.
Imagine how ugly an S&W revolver would be with torx screws. Ewww!

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll always like my mini 14. It's the old pencil barrel. But carrying it just feels better. I absolutely hate the skeleton collapsible ar 15 stocks. Too front heavy feels like a steel t post.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll always like my mini 14. It's the old pencil barrel. But carrying it just feels better. I absolutely hate the skeleton collapsible ar 15 stocks. Too front heavy feels like a steel t post.
Hmm. I like the AR collapsible stock quite a bit.
I've owned 2 of the Mini 14 factory folders.
While I think they are the most atractive folding stock I've ever seen, for me I think they are the most uncomfortable folding stock I have ever used.
I stay with the factory wood stock for the Mini 14.
I actually like the AMD65 folder much more.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. I like the AR collapsible stock quite a bit.
I've owned 2 of the Mini 14 factory folders.
While I think they are the most atractive folding stock I've ever seen, for me I think they are the most uncomfortable folding stock I have ever used.
I stay with the factory wood stock for the Mini 14.
I actually like the AMD65 folder much more.
I don't like folding stocks. I had one on a 10/22 just long enough to take it back off. Strictly wood stocks for me. I don't like any plastic stocks. Throws the balance off for me.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've been down all those roads before with sword-boy... Not only does he not understand the AR/M16 platform isn't the same as it was in the early days of VN, he refuses to understand no one is saying he can't prefer one gun over the other. He thinks we're just picking on him because he doesn't like the AR. He spouts off nonsense because he can't make a rational, well-reasoned argument for why he thinks the AR sucks so nonsense is his default.
What you keep forgetting is that I have said multiple times, it is a personal preference based on my experiences with early AR platform weapons, and that I do not like or trust them for those reasons. Instead you fanboys keep trying to convince me that I am wrong for feeling that way.

Again, as I have said before, you guys like them that is your business, but do not try to convince me that what I experienced myself is wrong. They may have changed a bunch in the roughly 50 years since I handled an M-16, but I do not like them. I do not trust them, and you guys singing their praises is not going to change my mind. Only thing that would is personal experience with one and I am not going to waste my money on something I do not like just because it might change my mind. I am old enough that changing my mind is not going to make one little bit of difference. While I prefer the AK platform, the Mini 14 is all the "combat rifle" I will ever need unless the SHTF and then I am dead anyway not matter what I am shooting.