Is the Ruger Mini-14 Obsolete?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love gingerbread cookies...
Screw gingerbread. A great Buddy of mine, Ben Whatshisname, choked on a stale one while we were deep sea fishing, he fell off the boat coughing and was eaten by sharks. Eating Gingerbread makes you get eaten by sharks . I’ll stick with my shortbread cookies, thank you.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the topic of the Mini-14, I took one of mine out earlier today just to check the zero on the optic.

It's not gonna win any national championships (that's more of a 'me' issue than a Mini issue) but it's not bad for what I keep it around for.

These 3 targets (#3 was my wife's target...not too shabby!) were fired from a bench at 50 yds (because that's all I can stretch outta my little range) using General Dynamics 62gr SS109 ammo...so probably not the most accurate stuff.

A.jpg
B.jpg
C.jpg

This one was 11 rounds fired from standing and as soon as the red dot came back on target. Not great but not horrible, either. I'm guessing a better shooter with better ammo could greatly improve on this.

D.jpg

Attachments

• D.jpg
    D.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screw gingerbread. A great Buddy of mine, Ben Whatshisname, choked on a stale one while we were deep sea fishing, he fell off the boat coughing and was eaten by sharks. Eating Gingerbread makes you get eaten by sharks . I’ll stick with my shortbread cookies, thank you.

That's just a tragic story. RIP Ben and Ken...

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, I have checked the NOAA records of lost fishermen dating back to 1952 and can find no record of Ben Whatshisname. I think you may be making this whole thing up to support your anti gingerbread bias and shortbread fetish. It appears that Ben is not in fact with Poiseidon.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, I have checked the NOAA records of lost fishermen dating back to 1952 and can find no record of Ben Whatshisname. I think you may be making this whole thing up to support your anti gingerbread bias and shortbread fetish. It appears that Ben is not in fact with Poiseidon.
As should be expected. He wasn’t lost or missing. he was eaten by sharks.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flathead screwdriver isn’t used to turn most of the modern fasteners these days. The Phillips took over. The torx is know knocking the Phillips out. Atleast a flat blade can be used for prying and chiseling. What the hell we gonna do with the Phillips.
Throw them in the trash where they belong.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I try to bring this s**t-show back on topic with a relevant post about my beloved Mini-14 and this is how you guys behave? I should'a known better...

View attachment 452624
I wouldn’t mind having a Mini-14, but not for what they’re currently going for. Factor in mag cost on top of $800+ for a rifle and they just don’t make much sense to me. I sank my nostalgia money into an MP-5 clone.