Is there a plumber in the house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Need advice or help. Either one is fine.

I had to replace the P trap under our kitchen sink which turned into a big mess. Old was sch 40 PVC, new is 20. Anyway got that all replaced and working good, but the tail piece under the kitchen sink will not tighten down enough and leaks. I put the plastic washer in between the tail piece and the strainer assembly but it just will not tighten enough. I even bought a new strainer assembly but can not get the old one to break loose. Any ideas or advice?

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plastic washer goes flat side to the sink and nut, pointy side to the P trap.
I'd focus on that because getting the sink strainer apart can be awful.
Pull it back apart and make sure you put the washer down, seated to the ptrap first, then bring the nut down to it.

To get the strainer out, you probably need to stick two screwdrivers in it and a wrench on the screwdrivers to hold them still. Then put a monkey wrench on the bottom half. It will be difficult to remove.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well no plumber but I had what I thought was a pee trap issues rebuilt it and still leaked. I had a stainless steel sink and it ended up being the strainer basket. The large outside nut loosened as the sink expanded, a little putty and tightening the 4 inch nut did the trick. Might take your hand and see if it’s loose.🤷‍♂️

tightened mine with a screwdriver and tapping with a hammer after I found out how much the tool was

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
16783961005917566422375908205726_18565686513482755.jpg

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Plumbing is something I always call a professional for. It usually turns into a bigger job when I try to DIY.
Sorry, can't help much
I am starting to get to that point. 30 years ago, heck even 10 years ago I would have had the whole thing done in an hour including the trip to Lowes getting the parts. Now it has been days and I am still fighting this mother.

And yes the gasket is in place correctly. I am afraid I am going to have to get the old strainer out.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
is the tailpiece the right length for the new trap? Not sure if it might be the cause, but if the piece is too short it'd form a gap and too long might cause the trap to sit slightly askew. But that is just trying to visualize from what you said.

Latest posts

Top Bottom