Is there a plumber in the house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am starting to get to that point. 30 years ago, heck even 10 years ago I would have had the whole thing done in an hour including the trip to Lowes getting the parts. Now it has been days and I am still fighting this mother.

And yes the gasket is in place correctly. I am afraid I am going to have to get the old strainer out.
Call Chad Lee, tell him Clay referred him. I'll PM you his number.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm comprehending it right, the nut is bottoming out on the bottom of the strainer before it pulls the down pipe tight to seal against the strainer.

I've had that happen and had to find a thinner nut .

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So are you leaking at the slip joint nut or strainer nut? If you want to change strainer basket just take your hack saw and cut the nut.easy peasy. When you get basket strainer out make sure to put either silicone or better yet plumbers putty top and bttm before tightening nut. Use a flat rubber washer on basket strainer tailpiece or both rubber and plastic.if plastic nut is bottoming out get a metal one. Check nuts on tailpiece and make sure it's not cracked they break easily.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got it! I went to just change out the strainer and the nut was frozen on, but the rubber washer under it fell apart so I had room to work with. Pulled it up a bit and used channel locks to bend the lip up until the whole assembly just fell thru the whole. Now to install the new. I already checked and the tail piece does get a tight seal on the new strainer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom