Is there a range that will allow you to shoot military surplus ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well it's possible they have changed their stance, or I've dealt with the same person that didn't know their own policies on multiple occasions. Granted, I've not been there for about six months.
Still, when I was there last, I specifically asked about steel core ammo and showed them the round. I was told I could shoot whatever I wanted.
Easy enough to call them and find out.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's possible they have changed their stance, or I've dealt with the same person that didn't know their own policies on multiple occasions. Granted, I've not been there for about six months.
Still, when I was there last, I specifically asked about steel core ammo and showed them the round. I was told I could shoot whatever I wanted.

I'll be there Saturday and I'll check, though it doesn't matter to me since I don't have anything steel-cored.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heartland Outdoors in Edmond is an indoor range that will let you shoot whatever you want: Milsurp, steel core, etc. That's where I go to shoot surplus ammo through my Mosin Nagant and AK.

Really? I've never tried, but I'm sure I've heard them say no steel-core ammo more than once. Not arguing you, I just thought they didn't allow steel-core or shotguns.

I'll be there Saturday and I'll check, though it doesn't matter to me since I don't have anything steel-cored.

A paper sign on the front door says "No steel-core ammo. No shotguns. No open toe shoes.".

I didn't ask about their policy at the range counter, so maybe the guys don't care, but they do have it posted to not shoot steel-core and to report anybody violating posted rules.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate indoor ranges for this reason. Oh it sticks to a magnet so you can shoot it and then go on to give you a list of BS reasons as to why you cant.

I think fire is a pretty good reason not to shoot steel ammo on an indoor range. There's quite a bit of unburned powder that travels down range, too. So, the combination of steel hitting steel and gunpowder will start a fire. I've seen it happen.

Also, depending on the backstop construction they probably don't want the extra damage to their backstop.Of course the magnet test doesn't tell the type of bullet construction just that there is steel present.

Latest posts

Top Bottom