Israel just bombed Syria

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the Soviets backed the Israelis' attempts at seizing the land...
Yeah, you really missed something there. The Soviets didn't back Israel--a sizable portion of the Jews in what became Israel fled from the pogroms in Mother Russia. It was something of a shock when the USSR didn't vote against them being recognized by the UN...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm really in the dark here. I thought the Brits' Balfour Declaration opened Palestine up for more Jewish settlement in the twenties. I thought after the war, the Soviets backed the Israelis' attempts at seizing the land, even supplied weapons. During this time, Israeli suicide bombers and terrorists were commonplace. Perhaps I dreamt it, but the Israelis got a better deal with us, and Truman was quick to rcognize them as a legitimate state within hours of military victory, denying the USSR's chance to be the primary influence over there. Did I miss something?

You are not in the dark and have a good grasp on the history of the situation as far as I can tell by reading your posts here, certainly better than I.

I am not somebody who believes that Israel has some inherent right to exist outside of their ability to occupy and hold land. The history of the world is one lesson after another in the violent use of force to establish territory. I am not ascribing a right or wrong, only stating what I see as an observer. My statement was one regarding human nature.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, you really missed something there. The Soviets didn't back Israel--a sizable portion of the Jews in what became Israel fled from the pogroms in Mother Russia. It was something of a shock when the USSR didn't vote against them being recognized by the UN...

Better check some more sources, where do you think the Israelis got all those K98s? There's a lot more of a Russian connection than most folks like to talk about. You're absolutely correct in the numbers of Jews (Khazars, actually) flooding in to Israel.

I know the popular notion, especially with televangelists, is that the chosen people fled from all over the world, and inhabited a patch of ground incapable of sustaining a civilized population. They, with Divine protection, (and some great rifles) drove out the heathen, and glorious vegetation sprang forth, the United States, in all it's goodness recognized this new Chosen State for what it was, and we graciously took her under our wing.

Didn't quite happen that way.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The maps tell the story. The hostility toward Israel and the West didn't magically appear out of thin air.

whatreallyhappened.com_IMAGES_mapstellstory_jews_stealing_palestine.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom