J.M. Davis Gun Museum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Via the Fb page:

Closed for Renovations Through February.
The J.M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum, the world’s largest privately held arms museum in Claremore, will be temporary closing November 1.
The Davis Museum will be installing a new LED lighting system through the entire building.
“The funding for this project came from a grant through the state of Oklahoma Commerce Department, the federal government and the Oklahoma state legislature”, stated museum executive director, Wayne McCombs.
Total funding on the project is $ 376,000. “The 40,000 square foot building has 948 lighting outlets including 600 display cases. This is a massive project”, McCombs stated.
there you go - I don't have FB, and, don't plan to get it either. But thanks for the update

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was part of that group that toured the museum and did a lunch. I was also disappointed that their display cases didn't take into account someone like me taking pictures of the displays. I was always getting light reflections in the pictures. The display cases at the 45th Infantry Museum were far better for photographs. The lights being LED is only part of the solution as placement of the light fixtures is also important.

As for a display of a variety of firearms, the 45th is much better than J.M. Davis' museum. The J.M. Davis had a lot of the same firearms right next to each other although some may have been manufactured in different years.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 45 has a good selection of military arms. Most are of US origin or from countries we fought with.

The Davis museum has a lot of sporting arms as well as military arms.
If your looking for an example of a specific US firearm and they don't have it, it's very obscure or fairly new. The bulk of the collection was compiled before his passing. The foreign sporting arms are what I would expect from WWII era war trophies.

Both museums have duplicates on display, but there are more duplications at the Davis Museum. Both are worth a visit.

The Davis museum is the place to go if your looking for inspiration for your next muzzle loader build.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1954 my Mother had me jailed at OMA in Claremore, the fire arm collection was then housed in downtown Mason Hotel.
I would spend all my spare time walking the halls of the Mason Hotel where Mr. Davis has his vast collection.
Mr. Davis noticed me on day and took me upstairs to see his non public collection was at.

Attachments

• Davis Gun collection and Mason Hotel (2).JPG
    Davis Gun collection and Mason Hotel (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Davis Gun collection and Mason Hotel (3).JPG
    Davis Gun collection and Mason Hotel (3).JPG
    557.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Davis Gun collection and Mason Hotel (1).JPG
    Davis Gun collection and Mason Hotel (1).JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 0

Free Trapper

Repeat Offender
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Call me what you will, but I'm done with that place.

Went in for my yearly visit about a year ago. There is a decades old display of hangmens nooses
with history and some with pics.

All the black pics we're removed and the white pics remained.

I've had all this "wokeness" and reverse discrimination I can handle.

Let the flaming begin.

Free Trapper said that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom