Joe The Plumber: 'Your Dead Kids Don't Trump My Constitutional Rights' To Have Guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fair point about his rudeness, but the point still stands. If any of my kids were killed due to gun violence, I should like to think that I'd blame the killer and not an object. Much like if one of my kids were killed with a screwdriver or circular saw. Although, as with any parent, I can only hope that I never have to endure such circumstances.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how you say it, the anti gun media will never show the second amendment in a positive light. You'll never win over the media so you might as well tell the truth.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how you say it, the anti gun media will never show the second amendment in a positive light. You'll never win over the media so you might as well tell the truth.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/19/opinion/bennett-gun-rights/

Everything fluctuates. It isn't often but sometimes there are logical arguments in the news. Above is one example. And either way, no need to pour fuel on the fire.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/19/opinion/bennett-gun-rights/

Everything fluctuates. It isn't often but sometimes there are logical arguments in the news. Above is one example. And either way, no need to pour fuel on the fire.

This. As I've mentioned before, my sister runs a pretty big liberal activist group. For the last year or so they have mostly been focused on Net Neutrality, but this latest Joe the Plumber (still don't get why this guy is any sort of spokesman for us) flap has swiveled the guns back in our direction.

Making a point is one thing. Doing so in a way that brings negative attention to your cause is just f-ing stupid. Freedom of speech is just like the freedom to bear arms. Sometimes, just because you can say whatever you want, doesn't mean you should just spew whatever hits your gray matter.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not sure I would have used that exact wording but he's right. Take a look at Canada, they have no guns (for the most part) and the criminals are still armed. They work very hard to keep that out of the media but it's true. The anti's will argue that the crime rate is much lower in Canada and that's true but it's not low because of guns. The demographics and culture in Canada is much, much different than the US which lends itself to lower crime rates. They don't have the gang problems that we have, they don't have issue of having an almost third world country as a neighbor but what crime they do have is still violent and involves guns. The only difference is most honest citizens don't have their own guns to defend themselves. History has proven that bad people will do bad things with whatever means necessary.

If a bad person wants to kill a group of people and they don't have a gun, they use a knife, a machete, a bomb or drive through them. They don't say "darn it...I don't have a gun...guess I'll just go watch a movie instead of killing those people that I want to kill".

Americans talking about Canada. Too funny. And wrong.

Firearms ownership in Canada is at about 33% of households. Handgun ownership is less than in the US but longguns and shotguns are prevalent in a third of Canadian homes. Keep in mind a large percentage of the Canadian population are immigrants. Finding white Anglo-Saxon Protestants in Toronto these days isn't an easy task for a city that was predominantly WASP up until the late '70's. These immigrants have no gun culture so aren't inclined to become gun owners. Most of my family in Canada own multiple firearms as hunting is still big up there. And with the elimination of the longgun registry many of them are buying even more arms. :)

Just setting the record straight.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Americans talking about Canada. Too funny. And wrong.

Firearms ownership in Canada is at about 33% of households. Handgun ownership is less than in the US but longguns and shotguns are prevalent in a third of Canadian homes. Keep in mind a large percentage of the Canadian population are immigrants. Finding white Anglo-Saxon Protestants in Toronto these days isn't an easy task for a city that was predominantly WASP up until the late '70's. These immigrants have no gun culture so aren't inclined to become gun owners. Most of my family in Canada own multiple firearms as hunting is still big up there. And with the elimination of the longgun registry many of them are buying even more arms. :)

Just setting the record straight.

Curious. Can they own an AR? Or is it strictly "hunting guns" like bolt actions, lever actions and such.

Jack T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is kinda my opinion, too. Open carry, James Yeager, Ted Nugent, Joe the Plumber, whatever. . .positive gun comments from the MSM are almost nonexistent, so why worry about what they will say?

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is kinda my opinion, too. Open carry, James Yeager, Ted Nugent, Joe the Plumber, whatever. . .positive gun comments from the MSM are almost nonexistent, so why worry about what they will say?

Positive or negative, I think it's one thing for anchors to give skewed statistics and sensationalize shootings but having a reel of tape to play with a "pro-gun nut" saying something that will piss off a majority of Americans is much more personal for people. Parents will instinctively take comments like that and individualize them. Statistics will never have the same impact as emotional speechs or we'd have statisticians in every office of the government instead of slick-talkers.

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Curious. Can they own an AR? Or is it strictly "hunting guns" like bolt actions, lever actions and such.

They are a "restricted" arm which means they can only be used at a range and require a special license. The credentials for an arm to be placed on the restricted list are arbritrary at best. In the case of the AR15... it's "scarey looking" and thus on the restricted list.

edit: One supplier of firearms and gear in Canada is Wolverine Supplies...

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/

https://www.facebook.com/WolverineSupplies

Also, to get an insight into the Canadian arms rights north of the border...

http://www.cdnshootingsports.org/referenceinformation.html

Last edited:

maat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, attacking gun rights, under any circumstance, makes you open game for harsh rebuttals. I have little sympathy for Martinez, it is the rest of the parents that I would not want to offend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom