Judas Iscariot: Bad Guy or Cosmic Patsy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was Judas Guilty?

• Bad Guy

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Messianic Lee Harvey Oswald

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Books, stop with the booze.

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question for all you who ponder religious questions (whatever the flavor). This last line of Bob Dylan's "With God on Our Side" questions the culpability of Judas Iscariot in the betrayal of Christ. Was he a patsy? An Ecclesiastical Oswald set up to take Divine Blame for the Crucifixion? Or a cheap, traitorous bastard who'd have done anything for 30 pieces of silver?

What say you?

Here's the verse. I'll post the video above.

In a many dark hour
I've been thinkin' about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can't think for you
You'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People should read the Borges story "The Three Versions of Judas"
I don't have an opinion, but if you think about it, the whole project doesn't work without him.
Since you mention Dylan, he was a Jew who became an agnostic then a Christian, then a Jew again. Maybe Dylan is Judas?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wouldn't say patsy since I don't think he was being taken advantage of I see him more as man committing a necessary evil. Since Jesus knew all of it before hand he could easily avoided the situation, but knew that it must be done. So in a sense Judas was doing God's will.

I'd say more of a judas goat than anything else. (I know, right)
A Judas goat is a trained goat used in general animal herding. The Judas goat is trained to associate with sheep or cattle, leading them to a specific destination.

Supposedly, the Book of Judas was one of removed texts from the bible.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If Judas had owned a pitbull it would have killed him. Killed him dead for taking the thirty pieces of silver. But that aside Judas's lot was cast before he was ever born.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because of mans sin it had to be done. If it were not Judas then God would have used someone else to accomplish His will. Because of the betrayal Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for mans sin. Jesus is the only one who could make the payment in full. Every single one of us are sinners and can not get to Heaven by ourselves. However God knew this and therefore sent His Son to pay the penalty for mankind. However just knowing that does not mean that you will go to Heaven when you die. Jesus says that "unless you repent" you will perish. There are many who claim to know Christ but have not repented of their sin and therefore will "not" go to Heaven when they die. The word "repent" is to turn from sin. The Bible has all the answers one needs to find out how to go to Heaven. John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father except through Me." All that to say that Jesus had to die on the cross.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You come up with some good questions, JB. I've never found anything in the Bible which would suggest that Judas acted in any way other than for his own selfish interests. I believe temptation was placed in front of him and he succumbed. I sincerely hope he asked for forgiveness before he took his life.

Some speculate that God "planned" that Judas would be the traitor, at God's behest. I don't know why people think that, but I can only refute it by my own understanding of what I read in the Bible. On the other hand, I don't pretend to understand everything God says and does.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You come up with some good questions, JB. I've never found anything in the Bible which would suggest that Judas acted in any way other than for his own selfish interests. I believe temptation was placed in front of him and he succumbed. I sincerely hope he asked for forgiveness before he took his life.

Some speculate that God "planned" that Judas would be the traitor, at God's behest. I don't know why people think that, but I can only refute it by my own understanding of what I read in the Bible. On the other hand, I don't pretend to understand everything God says and does.

Judas did ask for forgiveness. Matthew 27 3-4 (NIV)

"When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom