Just getting started, .308 Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had to guess i would say you are in the 2500 fps area with that load.
Accurate shows 44gr as max charge and 39..6 as a start load for a sierra HPBT 168gr.
38.8-43.1 for the 168 A-Max Hornady.

If it shoots to your liking now I would not change the load based on what the neck looks like.
I have loads that soot the necks and shoulders with annealed cases but they are very accurate.

https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WP_LoadSpec_7-2-13.pdf

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this a sign of anything?
The case looks to possibly have a piece of something in the chamber. If its just one case then its probably gone. If its all of the cases I would inspect the chamber. Also production rifles in that range vary some. Nothing to worry about though I would be inspecting the necks every time before and after shooting and reloading/resizing. Also I would guess your velocity may be closer to 2400 fps maybe lower with an 18" barrel.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The case looks to possibly have a piece of something in the chamber. If its just one case then its probably gone. If its all of the cases I would inspect the chamber. Also production rifles in that range vary some. Nothing to worry about though I would be inspecting the necks every time before and after shooting and reloading/resizing. Also I would guess your velocity may be closer to 2400 fps maybe lower with an 18" barrel.
Also sometimes a piece of trimmed brass etc. migrates to that area (die) when resizing/loading brass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom