Just want to hunt a little without paying thousands!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sandy Sanders is bow only I think other than draw hunts, but there are quite a few deer there, and since it isn't typical "bow hunting terrain" it might be less pressured...I don't live there, but I bet anything public within an hour of either OKC or Tulsa gets hit pretty hard! James Collins and Eufaula WMA's have decent spots on them, but James Collins is archery only too IIRC, and then there's Black Kettle out here in the west...if your kid is young enough for a youth hunt that's a good way to let them go, not nearly the amount of hunters on this public around me versus regular deer season. Good luck!

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i too went through the changes in land availability'.

i 1998 i purchased eighty acres to put an end to the race.

look at the options ..... arcadia lakke has draws for bow hints. $30. per weekend?

you can hunt at okmiulgee refuge. bow ..... there is a sogn up day and the hunt days are limited to a dew weeks

bow hunt public land.

there are options but things are evolving eveyday

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it was just kind of a pipe dream to maybe find a good contact or someplace near that I could take my boy without having to drive for hours and spend days preparing. If it was just me with no family I could drive the 3-4 hours and spend multiple days scouting then picking my spots and setting up stands and clearing lanes....etc. Well, when I win the lottery I'll buy a big chunk of primo hunting land, and share with others such as myself......

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
if you want to hint look for the options. .... like i wrote above... arcadia lake's draws, deep fork river are just two options..... i am sure that if you search there are many more. look at the controlled hunt at ok wildlife. i did buy some land bit i also take advantage of the away from home hunts. public land is not overan for bow hunting..... after opener.

if you to, you will find some options.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice for hunting public land, one caveat....if you walk 2-3 miles in to hunt and you do wind up killing a deer, that deer has to come out with you on your 2-3 mile trip back to the truck...lol, yes speaking from experience.

Quarter it up and pack it out. It's not that bad. Done it many times before.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had great hunting on many of Oklahoma's public hunting lands, but it takes a little extra work. Find the places that most of the public hunters avoid...the animals already have.

A guy really can come across decent hunting on public ground in Oklahoma. I would echo the idea of it just taking a little extra work to get it done with mature animals OR extremely good luck. I've seen the lucky end work more times than I can count with other guys.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do share.....the closest public land to me is Lake Thunderbird. I asked a friend who has hunted there and he said they're falling over each other there's so many....
Get away from okc to hunt. There's quite a bit of public ground in oklahoma. Apply for some of the draw hunts especially the youth hunts for your son. Another option is to look into hunting out of state. Non resident license in Arkansas are not that expensive less than 200 for a five day license go over there and hunt in the national Forrest. Before my dad passed away we used to go over every year and hunt. Had some success as well. Consider Colorado as well. Tags are higher but access and opportunity are good. Elk have over the counter tags in several units there are deer tags you can draw with a few points. Other states offer good opportunity and access as well. Do your homework and remember google earth is your friend especially on public ground.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the idea. My wife loves to fish so she could take advantage of that while me and the boy hunted. So, one full day of hunting/fishing and two nights lodging and food. A family package would be good with say a family of 4, an added cost per extra person. The question is hard because I will answer based on what I would/could pay for such a weekend. I personally think the "a la carte" method would work better where the ATV's and tractor are concerned. I could see me and boy going off on our own on one of them and I would gladly pay extra, reasonable price ($25/$30?), for use of it for the day. I could also see paying a small fee for the use of the tractor if game needed to be picked up.

I could easily see beginning at $100 per person, so at the very least $400 as a base price with the most basic accommodations. Personally I could see paying $400-$500 for that type of opportunity without issue, for a family weekend. Obviously I wouldn't expect high end cuisine or anything of that nature.

Another idea came to mind. Me and wife love to cook so maybe you could provide small discounts by offering others the opportunity to bring and prepare their dinner specialties for all. You, and your family would get to experience some new recipes. I like the idea of sharing the table also. Not sure how you do it currently but we went to a small resort that did that and we greatly enjoyed the experience of eating and talking with new folks.

I know the amount may seem like nothing to many but as I said before, to a person of modest means it could be a weeks worth of take home pay.

So Bryan, when can I book?

Dean

Hi Dean,

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you on this. It's a new idea/venture for my wife and I and we needed to discuss, which we finally did last week.

We think with the hassles and licensing that come with food prep for paid guests wouldn't make it worth it. Plus, preparing outdoor/campfire food really is part of the camping experience for most people anyway.

Unfortunately liability concerns with the ATVs make it a no-go as well.

For the weekend I had previously described, I was honestly thinking more like $1000 so at the price point you stated here is what we would be willing to offer:

• Arrive 3:00 p.m. or later on Friday.
  • Depart by 5:00 p.m. on Sunday.
  • Hunt/fish/hike/relax as much as you like and on your own schedule between arrival and departure.
  • Tractor retrieval of anything you might harvest.
  • Target shooting also permitted.
  • Use of paddle/jon boat on pond w/life jackets as needed.
  • Use of cabin with small fridge and kitchenette, bottled water, coffee maker, wifi.
  • Cabin has two rooms; one with a queen bed and a set of bunk beds. The other has two sets of bunk beds for a total of eight sleeping spots.
  • Fresh bed linens and towels included.
  • Restroom is an "outhouse" about 20 feet off the porch of the guest cabin w/sink, toilet, hot water and shower.
  • Camp fire ring just outside cabin with seating, firewood and starter materials provided.
  • Use of gas grill with propane provided.
  • Two adults included w/two children (under 16.)

PRICE: $500 all-inclusive. Cash works, or might trade for firearms or ammunition.
(Additional guests over 16, $100 each - one free child included with each additional adult.)

You are welcome to come see the place before committing. No pressure and no obligation, either way!

Let me know if you (or anyone else looking at this) has any questions.

Thanks!

Bryan

Latest posts

Top Bottom