K-12 Parking Lot bill passes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only private schools can create their own rules when it comes to law abiding citizens carrying firearms on school property. Public schools it is still a no-no per state law and can have legal ramifications.

At one time there was text to the effect that a school board could allow if they chose to I believe. But it's been years and I could be wrong.

marshrat

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
This bill only allows people to store firearms in their locked vehicle on school property. It does not allow them to carry firearms on school property.

Absolutely. Since I'm a teacher, it would be nice to carry and leave it in the truck. It would be nicer to carry anywhere on campus, but baby steps. LOL.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My interpretation of what I read is this. If you are carrying ON your person and get out of your vehicle while it is still ON your person, you will be guilty of a misdemeanor ($250 fine only, not an arrest-able offense, similar to a traffic citation). If you dive onto a campus, get out, but leave your weapon in the vehicle (out of sight) and lock the vehicle you are not in violation of the law.

I REALLY hope she does not veto this!! It would make my life so much simpler since I also work on a public school campus.

Oh and yes before the handgun law was passed the School board could authorize whoever they wanted to posses firearms on campus. When the Self-Defense Act was passed though it took that out of the law.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Governor Fallin signed the K-12 parking lot bill (HR 2614) into law today. Effective date Nov. 1.

Good show! :cool:

This just made my life much easier. After Nov 1 I no longer have to park in the church parking lot next to my wife's school when I take her lunch. And Her principal, Vice Principal, several coworkers, counselsor, and visitors won't have to either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom