KABAR USMC Knife set

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are different sizes and different handles and different blade configuration. Mine has the rubber handle cause it was going to see alot of use in the kitchen and didnt know what the sink water might do to the leather handle over time.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Cleaning out safes and found this pair. Are they collectors? Any value? One is 7” and smaller one 4 1/4”.

View attachment 314575

View attachment 314576
Both the short and the long hover around $80-$100 most any place online. Some have them cheaper. KaBar does these knives for all services...it's hard to find the plain sheath knives. They're good knives for the woods and the truck. But for collectable value, it's almost nil. You need something issued to troops for that pretty much.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool knives. I have my grandfather’s from WWII. I personally think $100 is a bit high but who knows in today’s market. View attachment 314710
This is worth more than a hunnert for sure.

What's on the other side? - USN MK2 and a maker? Camillus, Ontario, or KaBar? My money's on Camillus

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is worth more than a hunnert for sure.

What's on the other side? - USN MK2 and a maker? Camillus, Ontario, or KaBar? My money's on Camillus
It’s a Camillus but I believe they were all built to the same specs in WWII yes? Kind of like 03A3s. Being USMC you can appreciate where he spent his time (at 17 years old). Peleliu Palau. A LOT of American blood was spilled on that island.
2C835843-5295-4590-8550-5998C6E8FFB1.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Camillus was the primary contractor for MK2s...some other knife dudes might know for sure. I don't recall ever seeing any of these marked Ontario or KaBar...I think that's a later thing with leather sheathes or something, IDK. I'll say that one is in really good condition.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a Camillus but I believe they were all built to the same specs in WWII yes? Kind of like 03A3s. Being USMC you can appreciate where he spent his time (at 17 years old). Peleliu Palau. A LOT of American blood was spilled on that island.
View attachment 314757

Nice! How old is that one? Assume they can be dated?

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! How old is that one? Assume they can be dated?
If memory serves around 1944. Don’t know that you can get an exact date but by the type of tang and location of markings I believe that’s correct. Here is another WWII knife with an interesting story. Had an expert look at it and he said it was called a Theater Knife ie made in theater during the war. Not everyone could get their hands on a KaBar and out of necessity they made their own from kitchen knives and files and this one has a cast aluminum handle. Blade is an inch or so longer than the Camillus and holds a crazy edge
B78A845C-44BB-4399-B8DE-CA348938C9E6.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If memory serves around 1944. Don’t know that you can get an exact date but by the type of tang and location of markings I believe that’s correct. Here is another WWII knife with an interesting story. Had an expert look at it and he said it was called a Theater Knife ie made in theater during the war. Not everyone could get their hands on a KaBar and out of necessity they made their own from kitchen knives and files and this one has a cast aluminum handle. Blade is an inch or so longer than the Camillus and holds a crazy edge View attachment 314812
Those are pretty cool. I read a history on those, it seems that quite a few had aluminum handles...files or old tools for blades. I think every ship then had machinists on board. Very cool.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dad always had one similar in the kitchen cabinet but i never knew the history on it and now that he is gone i will more than likely never see the knife again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom