Kahr troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just picked up my first and only Kahr this week. I bought this P9 new and took it out for the "break-in" period. Of the 100 rounds I put thru the pipe about 10 had light primer strikes and did not fire. Some took 3 tries before they finally went off. I did a search and saw how some people claim Kahrs don't like WWB or UMC. Just so happens that is what I was using. So today I break it down for a good cleaning before my next trip to the range and look what I found. It appears the spring carved some nice grooves in my guide rod. Anyone seen or heard of this before?

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. My CW9 looked like it was worked over by a blacksmith on an anvil. And strangely enough the spring looks brand new. :screwy:
Didn't seem to bother the functioning though, but I did have Olyeller put in the stainless guide rod upgrade when I had him replace the front sight. Mine even had metal flakes from the rod everywhere inside. I just kept it clean and lubed and it ran fine. It seems to dissipate some with use.

But that's not your problem with the light strikes. Did you clean and lube it before firing?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen that banged up guide rod on several Kahr K9s and P9s - it didn't affect function at all.

I wonder if you have some junk in the firing pin hole that is keeping the firing pin from striking the primer.

Yank out the firing pin (its a beotch and you need like 5 hands to tear down the slide) and see what else is living in there with it - also if you know someone who can mic it and the FP hole, I'd do that just to be sure - there really aren't a lot of ways for debris to get in there except for between the gap between the Firing Pin and the FP hole (should the hole be too big or the fp be too small in diameter).

Good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since reading your post, I looked at both of my CW-40's, and didn't see any damage to the guide rod.
I shoot the WWB for plinking, but keep Win Ranger LEO ammo in it for carry. Don't have any problem with the WWB

Latest posts

Top Bottom