Keeping a shotgun loaded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are there any negative effects that result from keeeping a shotgun magazine tube loaded for an extended period of time? Will it hurt the spring or cause it to not load properly?

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shouldn't be any worse than keeping mags loaded. I cycle mine once a week or maybe a little less. makes me feel better and cycles the rounds

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its the exact same thing as pistol mags, the more the mag spring is compressed and relaxed the faster it wears out. Leaving it loaded doesnt even seem to affect the shells in it anymore than leaving them in the side saddle.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its the smae person making multiple threads about the same thing

Oh, wait ... maybe he did it because handguns and shotguns are different forums ... But that still doesn't answer my question ...

Seriously, can anyone tell me what is so hard about replacing a spring? It's not like they are expensive either.

Granted, changing the spring out in a magazine can be a bit of a PETA, but so is stripping your 1911 down and deep cleaning it ... just part of owning a gun.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, wait ... maybe he did it because handguns and shotguns are different forums ... But that still doesn't answer my question ...

Seriously, can anyone tell me what is so hard about replacing a spring? It's not like they are expensive either.

Granted, changing the spring out in a magazine can be a bit of a PETA, but so is stripping your 1911 down and deep cleaning it ... just part of owning a gun.

lol yeah idk, people jsut seem to worried about it. Just check ur mags everytime as ur loading it and after a range session and u will nvr have a problem with spring tension. :uhh:

Or is that to much common sense?

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Mossberg 590 has never had a spring replaced in it and it's been loaded with seven 2 3/4" shells for the last 8 years. :ugh2:

I unloaded it yesterday for a good thorough cleaning and they all popped out just like they were suppossed to. ;)

If you are that worried about it - getcha a double barrel. :D

Shriner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It they hear storys from the gray hairs and half wits from the web,gun shops,ranges about springs going bad ,ammo deforming ,the goverment have primers/powder going dead after a set time,and ALL the other OLD WISE TALES about guns/ammo. So they ask questions .

Latest posts

Top Bottom