Keeping a shotgun loaded

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Haven't had any issues with my 870 Express Magnum that I have kept loaded constantly. I do cycle the action and reload the gun occasionally just to make sure everything is in good working order...but the spring is still doing it's thing and showing no sign of problems.

Pat

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to remember the springs were designed to handle this.

Some leo's hardly ever change it out and they work just fine when needed.
How about our soldiers?
You think they want a weapon that's going to fail because of spring failure.
Way over rated worry.

They are more apt to go bad from usage than setting around loaded.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seriously, can anyone tell me what is so hard about replacing a spring? It's not like they are expensive either.

Shotguns are rather different than pistols and rifles. Replacing the spring isn't a problem; fixing a mis-feed in a pump action is. But, still, not one of the larger concerns.

However, the ammo is a different matter. Non-US made ammo seems to have an issue with thinner hull-walls, which lends itself to swelling, and sticking to the walls of the mag tube. If using Fiochi, or other Euro/ComBloc ammo, I would short-load- 1 in the chamber, 2 in the tube.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. Non-US made ammo seems to have an issue with thinner hull-walls, which lends itself to swelling, and sticking to the walls of the mag tube. If using Fiochi, or other Euro/ComBloc ammo, I would short-load- 1 in the chamber, 2 in the tube.

Agree, but still the issue of a spring losing it's ability to function is not real big for most people. Any mechanical parts has a expected use life. But sitting around waiting on it to happen may lead to a long wait in many instances. All this can be limited with regular maintainence and worn part replacements.

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are worried about wearing out the spring or causing damage to the ammo then just download the shotgun by 1 round. If it is a tactical shoty then you will still have plenty of ammo on board to handle almost every domestic doodle that can happen where you would need to deploy your tactical blaster. Springs on the shotguns are easy as hell to replace AND they tend to last forever. It is the ammo that needs to be replaced most of the time. The rounds will tend to swell at the nose from the pressure and they will not feed reliably. Depending on the ammo it can take a few days to litterly years before this is a problem. Besides it is a good idea to download your tactical shotgun by one round anyway. It makes changing ammo types quick (like going from buck to slugs, you simply push a slug into the mag tube and rack the slide, you will loose the round in the chamber but you gain a long range solution to an otherwise unsolovable problem) They teach this technique at Gunsite. CHEERS

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any negative effects that result from keeeping a shotgun magazine tube loaded for an extended period of time? Will it hurt the spring or cause it to not load properly?

Won't hurt a thing. I keep a Rem 1100 loaded for SD, and take it hunting on the weekends when bird season is on. Been doing it for about 30 years now, and have never had a malfunction yet.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, but I did have to replace the rear spring on my Stingray after 35 years... :drooling:

Sitting didn't wear it out. Flexing did.

Same for gun springs. The way to a dead spring if you can't wait for years is to either stretch or overcompress it. Stretching shotgun mag springs is an old standby in the "old wives' tale" arena. So is shortening the follower in a pistol mag to add one more round. (This usually results in other unintended consequences too.) Guaranteed quick death for the overcompressed spring. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom