Kentucky Gun Co is slow to ship.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this accurate? can anyone confirm this? There are two gun stores that I know of around that both charge more to use your CC or debit card. Pretty much lost my business because of it.

Yeah... I go out of my way to find other retailers when this occurs. Sorry, being a business owner means you accept certain forms of payment. Accepting CCs means you accept the terms of the contract, which says you eat the fees. If you don't like it, just up your prices (an individual fee), but when I see that, it turns me off big-time. You get a helluva lot more business coming in your door because you accept cards, which should offset the 3% fee.... if you don't believe me, stop accepting cards and see how fast your business declines and then goes OUT of business.

Next you'll be charging me a fee to use the internet to run my card, then a fee for the lights used to light your store, and the A/C while I'm there... who the hell are you, the cable company? :rolleyes2

scalawag pimp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this accurate? can anyone confirm this? There are two gun stores that I know of around that both charge more to use your CC or debit card. Pretty much lost my business because of it.

I don't see how it could be a law, but I know the cc company will refund the charge and then bill the company. At least that is what discover told me.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen that on their website about the CC fee. I was going to buy something from them but i dont remember what. Good to know they take their sweet time shipping.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

He is mostly correct. It is state law that they can not charge a cc fee but they can offer a cash discount. But the price posted must say "cash price" or "price reflects a 3% cash discount" it can't be added at the regestier. I've posted the law word for word on here before but I'm only phone and about ready to go to bed so I'm not going to look for it.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is mostly correct. It is state law that they can not charge a cc fee but they can offer a cash discount. But the price posted must say "cash price" or "price reflects a 3% cash discount" it can't be added at the regestier. I've posted the law word for word on here before but I'm only phone and about ready to go to bed so I'm not going to look for it.

I'm not arguing that this isn't true, but if it is, then how does the tag agency get away with charging you a $3.95 fee to use a credit card over a check or cash? I never carry checks and I rarely carry cash. Since I've been back in OK I've ran across a lot of places that just don't accept credit cards at all. They don't get my business at all either.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not arguing that this isn't true, but if it is, then how does the tag agency get away with charging you a $3.95 fee to use a credit card over a check or cash? I never carry checks and I rarely carry cash. Since I've been back in OK I've ran across a lot of places that just don't accept credit cards at all. They don't get my business at all either.

The Oklahoma Tax Commission can charge it do to the way the law is wrote. Something about how state funds can not be used to pay for processing fees. I will see if I can find it but here is the Oklahoma law regarding surcharges.

Okla. Stat. tit. 14A, §2-211
A. With respect to all sales transactions, a discount which a seller offers, allows or otherwise makes available for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check or similar means rather than by use of an open-end credit card account shall not constitute a credit service charge as determined under §2-109 of this title if the discount is offered to all prospective buyers clearly and conspicuously in accordance with regulations of the administrator of Consumer Affairs. No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects an open-end credit card or debit card account instead of paying by cash, check or similar means. There is no limit on the discount which may be offered by the seller. A seller who provides a discount otherwise than in accordance with the regulations of the Administrator must make the disclosures required by those regulations.

B. A seller who is registered with the United States Treasury Department as a money transmitter pursuant to 31 CFR, §103.41, and who provides an electronic funds transmission service, including service by telephone and the Internet, may charge a different price for a funds transmission service based on the mode of transmission used in the transaction without violating this section so long as the price charged for a service paid for with an open-end credit card or debit card account is not greater than the price charged for such service if paid for with currency or other similar means accepted within the same mode of transmission.

C. Any seller subject to the provisions of subsection B of this section shall either conduct business at a location in this state or comply with the provisions of §1022 of Title 18 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

D. As used in this section, "debit card" means any instrument or device, whether known as a debit card or by any other name, issued with or without fee by an issuer for the use of the cardholder in depositing, obtaining or transferring funds from a consumer banking electronic facility.

E. For purposes of this section, a private educational institution as defined in paragraph (e) of §3102 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes may charge a convenience fee. The convenience fee shall be limited to bank processing fees and financial transaction fees, the cost of providing for secure transaction, portal fees, and fees necessary to compensate for increased bandwidth incurred as a result of providing for an online transaction. none
Okla. Stat. tit. 14A, §2-417
A. No seller in any sales transaction may impose a surcharge on a cardholder who elects to use a credit card or debit card in lieu of payment by cash, check or similar means.

B. As used in this section, "debit card" means any instrument or device, whether known as a debit card or by any other name, issued with or without fee by an issuer for the use of the cardholder in depositing, obtaining or transferring funds from a consumer banking electronic facility.

C. For purposes of this section, a private educational institution as defined in paragraph (e) of §3102 of Title 70 of the Oklahoma Statutes may charge a convenience fee. The convenience fee shall be limited to bank processing fees and financial transaction fees, the cost of providing for secure transaction, portal fees, and fees necessary to compensate for increased bandwidth incurred as a result of providing for an online transaction.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tip of the day: If you're trying to negotiate a price, start with "I'll pay cash".

Credit card trivia: The one percent you earn on a rewards card is paid by the merchants, not the credit card companies.

Another credit card trivia: The reason many retailers don't accept American Express is that the fees are as much as 2-3% higher than Visa, MC, & Discover.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tip of the day: If you're trying to negotiate a price, start with "I'll pay cash".

Credit card trivia: The one percent you earn on a rewards card is paid by the merchants, not the credit card companies.

Another credit card trivia: The reason many retailers don't accept American Express is that the fees are as much as 2-3% higher than Visa, MC, & Discover.

Question... are you saying that "rewards cards" cost you more as a merchant than non-rewards cards? Or just saying that the 1% you get back is not coming out of the CC company's pockets because the merchant is paying 2-3%?

Latest posts

Top Bottom